planning to root please help

darkdroid

Reaction score
Im a newb. I WANNA ROOT. HELP ME PLZ!!! I have a Motorola droid running 2.1. I wish to root said droid. A few Questions.....
1.since i updated to 2.1 can i still root?
2. which rom should i use?
3.at a moments notice can i return to stock? (and 2.1)
4 besides tethering what else does root do?
5.how hard is the process? (bc i wanna do it easiest way possible)

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. yes, either restore 2.0.1 SBF or ESE53 2.1 SBF, then root... or sbf flash 2.1 SP Recovery SBF - DroidMod over your 2.1
2. choice of rum? well that's your decision, hehe...
3. yes you can return to stock "at any moment". it may take 2 steps to get to stock 2.1 though
4. root does everything!!!! overclocking, themeing, uhhh.... other stuff
5. you first need to set up Android SDK (for adb) ... that's the hardest part. you'll need these two files
a. USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA
b. Android SDK | Android Developers

6.then you need to flash an sbf file to your phone:

this will help you with rsdlite flashing: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/37717-unroot-unbrick-using-sbf-post-ikithme.html
7. once you have done all this, you will have a custom recovery on your phone (SPRecovery). now you can push appropriate su binary and install any rooted ROM

ughhh search is your friend, this is too much to type out again

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just put this thread together. I see Sam redid ikithme's deleted post and may just redo that in this thread too to keep everything together: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

I'm hoping the above covers it all. I have yet to install the Android SDK and use adb.

I agree with the answer to number 2. Read about the roms on the forum here, then choose one based on how it looks and the features offered. We each have our favorites. They all work.

JCo352

Reaction score
If you plan on putting a custom rom on your phone then using adb and the sdk is pointless. The rom will give you root access, after flashing the SPRecovery sbf.

Reaction score
I too am new to this I flashed the SPrecovery on my phone. I tried to place another rom on last night but no success. Was wondering if Rom manager would do it please advise need help

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I too am new to this I flashed the SPrecovery on my phone. I tried to place another rom on last night but no success. Was wondering if Rom manager would do it please advise need help

There are numerous roms with their own sets of instructions. Without knowing where you are headed to and the path you are taking its hard to tell what isn't working right.

You have a nandroid backup made right? If so you can try pretty much anything you want to do and if it goes wrong you can restore the backup.

Rom Manager will run fine if the rom you are running it on is rooted.

Reaction score
I used Rom cyan mod 5.0.6.2 keep vetting messgage stating can't get update package I have it saved to SD card as update.zip still noting sp was flashed using rsd but for some reason it wont get the package if I have sprecovery flashed can I flash clockwork from rom manager to root and get rom?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I used Rom cyan mod 5.0.6.2 keep vetting messgage stating can't get update package I have it saved to SD card as update.zip still noting sp was flashed using rsd but for some reason it wont get the package if I have sprecovery flashed can I flash clockwork from rom manager to root and get rom?

Are you on cyan 5.0.6.2 now or trying to get there?

Rom Manager will let you flash Clockwork and replace SPrecovery but it needs root access to do so.

We need to know where you currently are, what is installed, and where you are going to, what is the goal. With those two endpoints folks will fill in the middle path for you.

dolfanpete

Reaction score
i read all the instructions for how to root. as detailed as they are (all the post's on how to) i get lost right away. i need a "rooting for dummies" manual. as in kindergarten version like.
step
1 make sure you have all this installed on your pc first
2 if you have a new droid 2.1 do this, take this out blah blah
3 now do this...etc, etc....]

most of the how to look to be very imformative. i just get lost. anyone want to do it for me??? lol

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i read all the instructions for how to root. as detailed as they are (all the post's on how to) i get lost right away. i need a "rooting for dummies" manual. as in kindergarten version like.
step
1 make sure you have all this installed on your pc first
2 if you have a new droid 2.1 do this, take this out blah blah
3 now do this...etc, etc....]

most of the how to look to be very imformative. i just get lost. anyone want to do it for me??? lol

Let us know where you are and where you want to end up and you'll be there in no time.

Reaction score
I don't have Cyan yet I tried to put it on the phone but keep getting message package invalid install aborted. I'd like to get root access to the phone in the easiest way possible. I'm pretty computer savy so I'm good with the SPrecovery thing now I just need to flash a rom on the phone and get it to work any suggestions? Could i have gotten a bad file when downloading or is it because when its on my PC the folder it downloads to is compressesd should i be unzipping it before i root to my sd card?