Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Go Into Do Not Disturb Mode When Driving

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
googlepixel2_ap_big13-jpg.77968

We have all been there. You are having a nice peaceful drive home from work and you hear your phone buzz or ring. The first reaction is to check the phone to make sure there isn't some sort of emergency that needs your attention. In a best case scenario you would find a spot to pull over, park your car, and then check your notification. More often people just grab their phone and respond to whatever notification they have just received while they drive.

Google understands that notifications are incredibly tempting. They have baked a new safety feature into the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL which allows your phone to enter do not disturb mode when you are driving. The app is listed as "Pixel Ambient Services". The service can be activated and deactivated so you aren't forced to use it, but it is a nice option to have. It seems like this would even activate if you were a passenger and not driving since it uses the phone's sensors to determine if you are driving. Apparently it will only work if you are connected to your car's bluetooth. You can download the app from the PlayStore now.

via Android Police

Attachments

• googlepixel2_ap_big13.jpg
    googlepixel2_ap_big13.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,544

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is a good software feature to have. Hopefully it will reduce the number of accidents due to texting and driving.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll admit. I'll probably disable it. I'm a big boy and can decide when/what to ignore.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I'll admit. I'll probably disable it. I'm a big boy and can decide when/what to ignore.

I most likely would too. I keep my phone in my front pants pocket so it is difficult to access while driving - seat belt is in the way. its pretty good at stopping the temptation though I still get notifications on my watch.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I keep my phone in my hand and in front of my face at all times when I drive. I can see the road just fine with one eye and my phone with the other eye. I also drive in the far left lane at all times on the freeway. The only problem that I have is that the phone blocks my view of a lot of the drivers that pass me and give me the "You're number one" sign. Kinda funny that they all use the middle finger though.
Seriously, I think using a phone when driving is way too dangerous for me and others around me. Even hands free use of a phone has been shown to be as distracting as holding it in your hand and even as bad as drunk driving. I try to ignore most calls and texts while I drive, but, unfortunately, I still use my bluetooth to talk on the phone and respond to texts sometimes. I need to have someone in the back seat to slap me in the head sometimes. Amazing that 25 years ago we were all able to survive without a cell phone at all let alone talking, texting and checking facebook while we drive.
Drivers on Cell Phones Are as Bad as Drunks | University of Utah News

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a mount, I use my phone to listen to music or podcasts... if a message comes through I either A. ignore it, or b. tell my phone to respond through voice because we have that now and it works great.

yeah sometimes I will grab my phone say when the podcast I'm listening to is over and I need to go to the next one because play music is garbage at allowing you to setup a podcast playlist. I don't really grab it though, it's all one finger operation with the thing on the mount where I can see it without taking my eyes off the road and most times I just blindly tap the screen until I find the correct spot.

ayanav

Banned
Reaction score
but if the car have a bluetooth that mean that the driver would be able to respond with the microphone of the car

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iphone 6 prix galaxy s7 abonnement

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I like the idea, and think this is a step in the right direction by Google. Many people may not use this, or even know it exists, but anything that helps prevent distracted driving is a good thing. I am tired of near-miss accidents because some knucklehead is messing with their phone while driving.

I honestly don’t understand why Google has not developed some sort of driving mode feature similar to Moto’s Driving Mode. We have had Driving Mode in Moto phones since 2013, and it is awesome. I hop in my Jeep, connect to Bluetooth, and normally start playing whatever playlist I’m in the mood for that day. Depending on the type of Bluetooth device Driving Mode either kicks in 1.) automatically once connected, or 2.) at 15 MPH. If I receive a new text message she reads me the notification out loud through the Bluetooth connection and asks if I want to hear the message. I can either say No and dismiss the notification or Yes and she will read me the new text message. Then she asks if I would like to send a response. If a say No, music continues (or whatever else was playing). If I say Yes she prompts me to speak my message, then repeats what I just spoke and asks if I want to send it or change it. Say Send and the text reply is sent and music continues (or whatever else was playing). My hands never leave the wheel and my eyes never leave the road; I never even have to look at my phone.

I know that some vehicle manufacturers have similar functionality built into their Bluetooth systems (Chrysler U Connect 8.4, etc.), but if Google could implement something like that into stock Android it would be awesome for everyone. Implement a driving mode feature that speaks all new calls and texts 100% hands free and goes into DND mode for all other notifications (Facebook, Snapchat, E mail, etc.). Come on Google, it’s 2017 and some of us have had this for 4 years now. :cool:

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've kind of had a love/hate relationship with the Moto Drive mode on the OG Turbo. Sometimes it works well other times not so much. It can trip over itself when multiple txt's come in or if one comes in while I'm trying to respond (my wife has no patience ;-0 ). It doesn't always seem to hear me when I say yes or no or dismiss. I don't know if that's an issue with the microphone in my truck or what.

The biggest gripe I have with it is not being able associate specific BT devices as driving devices. Yes it recognizes both mine and my wifes vehicles, but I have no way to make recognize the SENA BT headset I use on my motorcycle helmet. Which is when hands-free is an absolute 100% must.