Pictures extremely slow from camera to gallery

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I tried to search for this before I posted but didn't find anything (I'm sure others have noticed this so forgive me if this is a duplicate post)

Motorola Droid (non-rooted) OTA update to 2.1

Before the update from 2.0.1 to 2.1 this worked perfectly...

After that update, when I take a camera picture it can be up to 2 minutes! before the image shows up in my gallery. Kinda a pain when I'm trying to quickly send it to a friend.

I thought it might be a software conflict or something unique to my phone but I tried the same thing on a friend's phone (fresh out of the box) and it did the same thing.

Any ideas as to what causes this and if it was solved in a different post please let me know where that thread is.

Thanks...Dave

Taegost

Reaction score
Y'know, now that you mention it, it does take it a bit for the gallery to display the pictures. I don't take a whole lot, so I only have maybe 2 dozen photos, but even opening the folder in the gallery it'll take it a hot minute to show the thumbnails, however the folder with 100+ naughty pictures shows them right away...
*shrug*

OP
davidbehrns

davidbehrns

Reaction score
If I had 100+ naughty pictures, maybe I wouldn't be complaining so much. I have noticed the thumbnails seem slower but they will show the old gallery for a while. Only after a minute or two will the new thumbnails even appear then they are empty squares which fill in a few seconds.

geetarspaz

Reaction score
i have this problem. sometimes ill have to take a second picture to push the first one faster.. that usually works...but end up having to delete the other one though

cbushnell

Reaction score
When you take a picture it shows up in the right hand side in the camara app, you can long press the photo and get the option to share directly from there... No need to wait for it to show up in the gallery...

Cheers

nomusa53

Reaction score
Same issue for me. But not minutes. Can be hours. True if i take a pic or "save image", like from google's own "images" from google site. Or downloads of wallpapers from The Market. Its also a crap shoot which folder in the gallery that images go to. I hate this!

OP
davidbehrns

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I think 2.2 got it

Before the update from 2.0.1 to 2.1 this worked perfectly...

After that update, when I take a camera picture it can be up to 2 minutes! before the image shows up in my gallery. Kinda a pain when I'm trying to quickly send it to a friend.

Thanks...Dave

I manually installed the 2.2 update and this problem seems to have been addressed.

I did notice after rooting the Gallery took forever to do the initial scan for all the pictures then I realized it was scanning a ton of new folders that it couldn't scan before.

sojersey05v

Reaction score
I manually installed the 2.2 update and this problem seems to have been addressed.

this is my 2nd post, i am completely new to all these terms.. i have had my droid for a good while... how do i do that manual update? can you like me to it?

end threadjack

OP
davidbehrns

davidbehrns

Reaction score
Installing 2.2. You might want to google this for a second opinion

this is my 2nd post, i am completely new to all these terms.. i have had my droid for a good while... how do i do that manual update? can you like me to it?

end threadjack

I can give you some generic steps for the Moto Droid 1 only (the one with the slider keyboard)... There is a little risk involved and it costs you nothing to wait for the Over The Air Update (Verizon will support the OTA, Over The Air update, if it goes wrong. I doubt they will support this method) that being said I have done 3 phones using this method and all have worked.

1. Download 2.2 <--Click here
2. rename the file that you download to: update.zip
3. Plug your droid in to your computer and enable USB storage
4. Copy the update.zip file to the root of the droid's sd card (as in, do not put it in any folders)
5. Power off the droid
6. Power on the droid while holding down the "x" key on the slider keyboard
7. You should see a strange looking screen with a yellow triangle on it /!\.
8. I always need to do this twice because I forget
-Hold down the "gold camera button" then push the "volume up" button
or
-Hold down the "volume up" button and push the "gold camera button"
It is one of those
9. You will see a new screen with some small blue text. One of the options will be update the device with "update.zip"
10. select that option and let her rip
11. reboot the phone and welcome to 2.2
(FREAK OUT WARNING: this boot takes a while... I freaked out for a bit thinking I had done something wrong and screwed up my phone. Turns out the phone has a lot of stuff to do during this initial 2.2 boot so don't panic)

sojersey05v

Reaction score
ok i just did that... i had the error come up at the end... i hit the reboot phone... but no update shown in my about phone... now what?

sojersey05v

Reaction score
the error was E: cant open/ cache/recovery/command.. so now im not getting it from there, or my OTA update...