Pictures disappearing

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Twice now I've had my pictures disappear out of the "camera" folder in the Gallery. The whole folder disappears. Other photos from Messaging, screen shots, etc are not lost. I think the problem stems from them being saved to the phone and not an SD card. I recently got an SD card and went into camera settings and made sure they are saved to SD1. SD0 is the phone. Will see how this goes. Thought I'd throw this out to help people from not having the same problem.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I just read your other post and wanted to see if I could help..... Have you plugged the phone into a computer and searched for the photos?? I have seen people having this issue and what is happening is for some reason something is putting a .nomedia file in the camera folder causing the phone to not read the photos anymore....

OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
No I have not. I will do that and look for them. Thanks for that thought!!

Eschurr

Reaction score
something crazy has been happening in the last few days...all the pictures I shoot with my S4 camera disappear.

Here's what happens:

-- i shoot the picture
-- i see it in my gallery
-- hours later it's gone

sometimes I shoot the picture and try to share it with someone and the phone says "file does not exist."

Just to make things equally weird, I have deleted a number of pictures and the next day they are still there.

I'm using a standard Android 4.3 install, and the Gallery app that comes with the phone. i have a few other picture viewing apps and they produce the same result.

i've restarted the phone a few times with no success.

my default storage is my SD card.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
By SD card I assume external rather than internal storage. If that's the case and the card is a 64GB card there may be an issue associated with the 64GB cards in an S4 that is fairly well known.

Eschurr

Reaction score
By SD card I assume external rather than internal storage. If that's the case and the card is a 64GB card there may be an issue associated with the 64GB cards in an S4 that is fairly well known.

thank you. i am using a 64gb card. it has 17gb available. what is the issue and is there anything that can be done about it?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As leeshor said, the s4 has had known problems with 64gb cards, regardless of manufacturer for whatever reason. You could always try formatting the sd card again with the phone to see if that remedies the problem, but I've heard of well-known brands that don't work well with the s4. Kinda dumb how they advertise it can support up to 64gb, but that there are problems, it's the reason I opted for a 32gb.