** Picture Message not always compressing, and Cannot add message!

tuan1969

Reaction score
Hello experts,
My Eris' (Android 2.1) picture messaging isn't working properly.

1) After taking a pic (5mp, High res), I want to send it as a pic message. The issue is that it only compresses the pic SOME of the time (bring the size down to about 12kb to 300kb. Then other times, it only compresses to about 1mb - 2mb which most cell phones cannot receive.

2) When trying to send the pic message, the phone won't let me add a message. The COMPOSE box is there, but I can get into it.

Also, why is the picture always played as a "slide"?

Thanks so much !!

mamawm

Reaction score
what messaging app are you using? i only use handcent and i've not experienced this problem.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello experts,

1) After taking a pic (5mp, High res), I want to send it as a pic message. The issue is that it only compresses the pic SOME of the time (bring the size down to about 12kb to 300kb. Then other times, it only compresses to about 1mb - 2mb which most cell phones cannot receive.

2) When trying to send the pic message, the phone won't let me add a message. The COMPOSE box is there, but I can get into it.

Thanks so much !!

When sending a message with a picture, you don't "compose" a message. What you do is hit the "Edit" button and add a message in the corresponding box.

OP
T

tuan1969

Reaction score
what messaging app are you using? i only use handcent and i've not experienced this problem.

I'm using the messaging app that comes on Android. I select a picture, then MENU, then SHARE, then MESSAGE.

Also, it always send it as a SLIDESHOW which runs for 5 seconds!!

OP
T

tuan1969

Reaction score
Hello experts,

Thanks so much !!

When sending a message with a picture, you don't "compose" a message. What you do is hit the "Edit" button and add a message in the corresponding box.

You are correct, I EDIT the message and can add text. HOWEVER, why is the pic still so large AND it's sent as a SLIDESHOW (which runs for 5 secs)?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello experts,

Thanks so much !!

You are correct, I EDIT the message and can add text. HOWEVER, why is the pic still so large AND it's sent as a SLIDESHOW (which runs for 5 secs)?

Haven't been able to figure out the Slideshow thing. I will do some checking on the auto-compressing.

You could try Handcent. Many rave about it, I didn't care for it all that much.

Joe_Evaristo

Reaction score
HOWEVER, why is the pic still so large AND it's sent as a SLIDESHOW (which runs for 5 secs)?

Call or e-mail HTC support and complain about it. Yes...complain, not ask for help because they're completely useless.

They're claiming this is a new "feature" of the latest maintenance update (one rep claimed the phone always did this, despite picture evidence otherwise)--I never thought removing the functionality of a feature but keeping the option and making it take on the functionality of another included feature (slideshow) could be referred to as a "new feature," but that's what they're doing to get out of supporting it.

If they get inundated with calls from users who are unhappy with this bug, maybe they'll actually fix it.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
HOWEVER, why is the pic still so large AND it's sent as a SLIDESHOW (which runs for 5 secs)?

Call or e-mail HTC support and complain about it. Yes...complain, not ask for help because they're completely useless.

They're claiming this is a new "feature" of the latest maintenance update (one rep claimed the phone always did this, despite picture evidence otherwise)--I never thought removing the functionality of a feature but keeping the option and making it take on the functionality of another included feature (slideshow) could be referred to as a "new feature," but that's what they're doing to get out of supporting it.

If they get inundated with calls from users who are unhappy with this bug, maybe they'll actually fix it.

I work in software development. A documented bug becomes a feature. :)

Joe_Evaristo

Reaction score

Lol I'm not too surprised, that seems to be the way of most businesses, doesn't it?

I've been trying since the 23rd to get picture messages fixed. Just today HTC called about the support satisfaction survey I filled out-armed with the blame Google game. They said Google changed it in 2.1, and I asked why, then, did it work right in 2.1 on two different phones until the MR4 maintenance update. They said they didn't know but it's somehow Google's fault.

My next step is to call my state's department of consumer protection. If they're of no help I may just suck it up and root my phone. Can't say I'll ever buy another HTC product again.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

Lol I'm not too surprised, that seems to be the way of most businesses, doesn't it?

I've been trying since the 23rd to get picture messages fixed. Just today HTC called about the support satisfaction survey I filled out-armed with the blame Google game. They said Google changed it in 2.1, and I asked why, then, did it work right in 2.1 on two different phones until the MR4 maintenance update. They said they didn't know but it's somehow Google's fault.

My next step is to call my state's department of consumer protection. If they're of no help I may just suck it up and root my phone. Can't say I'll ever buy another HTC product again.

WOw, that's some serious hate for the slideshow! LOL

Last edited:

Joe_Evaristo

Reaction score
WOw, that's some serious hate for the slideshow! LOL

LOL! Actually, at this point I'm more upset about the lack of support--being told that a problem isn't a problem and that there's nothing to be done about it. I really hate when a business refuses to support its own products and tries to shift the blame to others.