picture help

bjmoore26

Reaction score
Hello all. Hoping someone can help me here. My wife and I are new converts from the BB Storm to the Motorola Android (slide out keyboard version not Eris). We just got them about a week ago. My wife took a few pictures and we can't find them on her phone. We checked Picasa and they aren't there either. Where did these pics go? How do I find them? As I am not used to this phone yet I need some really specific instructions on this. Thanks!!

kyfry85

Reaction score
go to the home screen-> hit the triangle on the bottom left of the screen->select Album->Should be in one of the folders.

JayMonster

Reaction score
@kyfry85 - You have to explain better... because I have no idea what you are talking about... and I am not a newbie.

@bjmoore26 You don't mention it... so I have to ask... Did you try using the Gallery Application? The photos (unless they were deleted) should be in the "Camera Pictures" set when you open Gallery.

OP
bjmoore26

bjmoore26

Reaction score
yes I checked the gallery app and nothing was there. she changed a location setting under her camera settings that is now allowing the pics to save to the sd card but i still cannot find the ones she took before then not even on picasa

JayMonster

Reaction score
The stock camera app by default saves to the SDCard (and as far as I know there is no way to change it)... so what app are you using to take the pictures?

By Default the pictures are stored in /sdcard/DCIM/camera, and that is where the pictures should be stored. If you are using another application, you would have to check with its defaults.

Picasa has nothing to do with the stock camera app, so unless you excitedly uploaded photos to Picasa, it is not surprising that you did not find them there.

You can download an app like Astro which will allow you to browse the filesystem on the phone and help you locate the files.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The gallery is supposed to load any images on your SD card that aren't hidden.... regardless what folder they are in... at least it does on mine

JayMonster

Reaction score
The gallery is supposed to load any images on your SD card that aren't hidden.... regardless what folder they are in... at least it does on mine

That is why I said "if they weren't deleted" and asked what app was used to take the pictures (in case it was one that puts them in a hidden folder). You are correct, if they are on the phone the Gallery should find them where ever they are. (so long as they are not hidden)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

That is why I said "if they weren't deleted" and asked what app was used to take the pictures (in case it was one that puts them in a hidden folder). You are correct, if they are on the phone the Gallery should find them where ever they are. (so long as they are not hidden)

i'm with ya... just reaffirming what you stated :)

OP
bjmoore26

bjmoore26

Reaction score
We both use stock camera. She took like 10 pics the first night she had the phone. We haven't used any other camera apps. We can't find her pics anywhere.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We both use stock camera. She took like 10 pics the first night she had the phone. We haven't used any other camera apps. We can't find her pics anywhere.

If you open the camera.... click menu > gallery.... are your pictures showing up there?

OP
bjmoore26

bjmoore26

Reaction score

If you open the camera.... click menu > gallery.... are your pictures showing up there?

I have 2 that she took after making a change in the settings. She went to camera>settings>location>off. The location was on and for whatever reason it made the difference in saving to card. Can someone explain what this means and where her pics might be?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have 2 that she took after making a change in the settings. She went to camera>settings>location>off. The location was on and for whatever reason it made the difference in saving to card. Can someone explain what this means and where her pics might be?

my guess is they wouldn't have been saved... but i could be wrong.
I just checked and my save location was 'off' as well... must've reverted after the 2.0.1 update

edit: I am wrong... just took a picture with save location 'on' and one with it 'off'.... saved both pictures.

OP
bjmoore26

bjmoore26

Reaction score
ok well i guess it's no big deal. they were pics of paintings she made. We have the paintings so we can retake the pics. Thanks for all the help folks

JayMonster

Reaction score
"location" pertaining to pictures just puts your location data into the Pictures Exif data, nothing more (nothing less).

As I mentioned earlier you can browse the card with apps like Astro and see if you can locate the files that way. (But my guess is they were inadvertently erased)