Pics won't download in texts I receive

kdw11005

Reaction score
I've had my S4 for about a week now, and when I receive a text from anyone with a pic in it, it shows a box that says download, I click download and it always fails. I've had several different friends send me pics so it's not one phone, it's my phone. It doesn't make a difference if I'm on wi-fi or 3G or 4G. I've been through the settings a hundred times and can't figure out the issue. I've never had this issue before. Please help :)

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I would try a factory reset after backing up anything you may need to see if it resolves the issue ..did you get it brand new from carrier ? Did it ever work since you purchased ?

M8 tap'd

OP
kdw11005

kdw11005

Reaction score
That feature has not worked since I purchased it. I bought it brand new, it's through straight talk. I'll try the reset, fingers crossed. Thank you!

OP
kdw11005

kdw11005

Reaction score
well the factory reset didn't fix the issue :( I still can't open pics. It does show pics are sent as MMS....is that normal?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hmmm ..it's either phone or network related I'd think ..if you try to send yourself a pic see if it shows

M8 tap'd

OP
kdw11005

kdw11005

Reaction score
I sent a pic to my husbands phone an he got it just fine. I tried to send myself a pic, twice, it sends the pic but I never receive it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Are you using the stock messaging app or a third party app like GoSms, Textra, Chomp etc? It may have something do with with the size of the picture, or your MMS it's not activated correctly. Try going into your messaging app settings, reset the size limit and turn on or adjust any MMS settings. See example picture.....activate mobile data & set MMS size limit. (It may be worded slightly different in the stock app.
pUY3VGh.jpg

This may not be the problem, but it's worth checking.
FWIW, third party messing apps have always worked much better than the stock messaging apps, especially for MMS messages.
Good luck!

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:
OP
kdw11005

kdw11005

Reaction score
I was using stock, tried handcent (still didn't work) and tried chomp. At least chomp is telling me it's my APN settings that need to be adjusted. Went into it and it's all blank, no info is set for any catagories so I'm gonna guess that's the issue. I just don't know what to put in for everything. I'll try calling Straight Talk and hopefully someone there can help me. Thank you all for your advice!!