Pics of First HTC Phone with Ice Cream Sandwich Leak

JeffDenver

Reaction score
And that is true, while on my homescreen it's definitely not completely "720p" or whatever, but videos are. But my homescreen looks absolutely amazing either way. Definitely better then that of my OG Droid and Droid 3. And surely better then probably every other phone out there right now besides maybe the Rezounds awesome screen.
Yeah, no argument there. The buttons were not the reason I chose the Rezound over the Nexus. If the Nexus'd had an SD slot, I might have gotten it instead despite the lack of buttons.

I dont like the buttonless design, but it would not have been a deal killer for me personally.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wasn't convinced on em either. Especially when it only had three buttons. But devs sure have helped me love them. I love my set up now.

And yeah the no sdcard still bothers me a little bit. But I still have 16gigs left so I'm good for now. Cloud storage is still meh to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

acousticshade

Reaction score
I think you are going to see ICS phones with and without buttons for some time now. Look at all the phones that still have physical keyboards. I mean, there's no real reason that you absolutely need a physical keyboard on a phone but there are thousands of users who swear by them. For me, I hate a physical keyboard because it turns the phone into a brick, but I prefer the physical buttons for many of the reasons Jeff brought up. Also add to the fact that they could create a screen burn in issue on amoled screens.

I'm sure if I had a phone with software buttons, I would get used to them and maybe even end up liking them, but Google would be stupid to abandon support for them. One of the things that sold me on my first android phone was the 4 buttons. I hated that the I-Phone only had 1 stupid button. The software buttons just up the ante. Poor I-phone users....

JeffDenver

Reaction score
For me, I hate a physical keyboard because it turns the phone into a brick, but I prefer the physical buttons for many of the reasons Jeff brought up. Also add to the fact that they could create a screen burn in issue on amoled screens.
I didnt even think about that, but thats a good point.

In their defense, burn in is not permanent on AMOLED phones as I understand it. Eventually it goes away, unlike the burn in on 80s-era monitors.

I'm sure if I had a phone with software buttons, I would get used to them and maybe even end up liking them
It adds to the cool factor, but it sacrifices key functionality IMO.

but Google would be stupid to abandon support for them.
I dont think Google has any intention at all of abandoning support for hardware buttons. I think they will include support for them indefinitely in fact.

The Nexus reflects only what they see as their ideal for Android.

I hated that the I-Phone only had 1 stupid button. The software buttons just up the ante. Poor I-phone users....
I have friends with iPhones and sometimes help them fix stuff. Using an iPhone is SUCH a chore...almost all navigation has to go through the app, and if the app maker did not add it, well...you are SOL basically. They have a Home button that can sometimes act as a back button, but thats it...no Menu button for you.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you are going to see ICS phones with and without buttons for some time now. Look at all the phones that still have physical keyboards. I mean, there's no real reason that you absolutely need a physical keyboard on a phone but there are thousands of users who swear by them. For me, I hate a physical keyboard because it turns the phone into a brick, but I prefer the physical buttons for many of the reasons Jeff brought up. Also add to the fact that they could create a screen burn in issue on amoled screens.

I'm sure if I had a phone with software buttons, I would get used to them and maybe even end up liking them, but Google would be stupid to abandon support for them. One of the things that sold me on my first android phone was the 4 buttons. I hated that the I-Phone only had 1 stupid button. The software buttons just up the ante. Poor I-phone users....

Coming from the Droid and Droid 3, I personally love physical keyboards. Typing is so much easier. And I thought the Droid 3 had a good look to it too, and it didn't seem bulky to me at all. Well, that was until I got the Nexus. But I really do miss having a keyboard quite often. Swiftkey plus a physical keyboard was an absolute monster.

As for the buttons, I don't think we'll see actual capacitive go away. I wouldn't be hard pressed on guessing that we only see this for Nexus phones only, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think Google has any intention at all of abandoning support for hardware buttons. I think they will include support for them indefinitely in fact.

The Nexus reflects only what they see as their ideal for Android.

They already have shown they will by allowing updates to be pushed to older devices that still have hardware buttons...true its only the nexus s with an official update as of right now but others will come soon im sure

destin246

Reaction score
Htc phones all look the same

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Htc phones all look the same
I am ok with that if it is true. Because I like how HTC phones look.

Although I never buy phones just for looks. The hardware specs matter more to me. Looks only matter if the specs are comparable.

acousticshade

Reaction score
I didnt even think about that, but thats a good point.

In their defense, burn in is not permanent on AMOLED phones as I understand it. Eventually it goes away, unlike the burn in on 80s-era monitors.

I think there are two kinds of burn-in with the amoled screens (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I think there is one type where if the manufacturer doesn't operate the screen for so many hours, you can have a temporary type of burn-in that goes away after a few minutes or so. That one supposedly gets better and goes away after you use your phone for a bit.

The other type is similar to what happens on plasma tv's if you have something that stays in one place for too long (like software butons or home screen clocks, etc). That burn-in usually takes hundreds or thousands of hours but doesn't go away. It's a permanent scar on your phone and looks just like the burn-in you see on plasma tv's that you see at airports or bars. I know people who have the Incredible who have burn-in on their phones and say they live with it.

The color blue is supposedly the worst offender and burns in first (gee look at all the pretty blue colors on stock ICS!!!). I use my phone a ton and that was the biggest reason that I didn't get the Gnex. If I spend $300 on a phone, I don't want a fabulous screen to look like junk just after 2 or 3 years.