Picasa web albums in gallery are blurry if under 1600x1200

wheelman

Reaction score
I really enjoy the new feature of 2.1 that allows me to view my picasa web albums on my phone. However, it seems that if the picture is under 1600 pixels on the web, it won't show up properly on my phone. I have a great 3g internet connection here at home, but the smaller pics just dont render properly, and stay blurry forever. Seems bizzare that the smaller ones don't work, but thats the way it is. Anybody else notice this? I can upload a set at 640 in picasa and they never unblur on my phone, and upload the same set at 1600 if they're at least that original resolution and they view great on my phone in 1-2 seconds each.

Last edited:
OP
W

wheelman

Reaction score
I know somebody else besides me is having this problem! We gotta band together and get something done about it!

chudilo

Reaction score
I have the same problem.
Some have suggested that if you have less images on picasa it syncs quicker. It is not the resolution of the image that makes the images appear with decreased quality

Last edited:

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the same issue even with hi-res pics. It's like it gets stuck syncing and never finishes getting a good quality preview pic.

OP
W

wheelman

Reaction score
I have the same problem.
Some have suggested that if you less images on picasa it syncs quicker. It is not the resolution of the image that makes the images appear all wrong
I thought so too but I deleted all of mine off picasa and did some tests and uploaded a few small albums with 10 or 15 pics each. One had large original pics above 1600x1200 and i sent them up that way. They render just fine in a few seconds after the intial loading period. I did the same thing to another set that was older and only taken in 1024 and lower, sent them up as 800 x 600 (this is how i was going to do them anyway, as i figured faster is better and i only wanted them for viewing on my phone anyway really) and they dont ever unblur. Try it out....

chudilo

Reaction score
Since the screen resolution on the droid is 480 x 854 I would expect the 800x600 image to be all messed up. The higher resolution pictures not being displayed properly is a different story though.

OP
W

wheelman

Reaction score
Yeah, i thought about that. You'd think if they were going to offer such a feature they'd have some type of resize on the go deal that would adjust it to fit your screen properly. I do feel it has something to do with that.

chudilo

Reaction score
You can not scale an image up without loss in quality. There are a number of interpolation methods to attempt to do that with mini9mal loss, but they all require a rather large amount of computation. Perhaps Google's first attempt at putting all the algorithms in place assumes scaling the picture down. Droid camera does not even allow you to take such small resolution pictures. 800x600 is (0.5 of a megapixel)

OP
W

wheelman

Reaction score
That makes sense. I don't care if it looks superb, just good enough to tell the difference between a tree and a person would suffice. :) Right now you can barely even tell what the picture is.

thaJack

Reaction score
Same issue here. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of images. I resynced an album at the higher resolution and it resolved the problem for me.

I would prefer something lower to work, though.

erich93063

Reaction score
You just need to let them load. Most of the time it takes a LONG time for them to finish loading. You can see a little circular loading animation though. Once they are done loading, they look fine.