1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Physical Modifications?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by octovir, Nov 15, 2009.

1. octovir

octovir New Member

Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I tend to accidentally hit buttons/keys unintentionally, or am not quick enough in pressing the sleep button..

Has anyone considered or been successful in increasing the resistance of the buttons or adding to them to make them more accessible, or modding/replacing the keyboard with something less "flat"?
  2. alf

alf New Member

I know what you mean they should have thought the button layout a little better. I was always hitting mine, until i put one of thoes plastic protector cases on it. A added bonus now the buttons are recessed just enough, that now it's not a problem. 3 bucks at bargaincell.com
  3. shawndream

shawndream New Member

I'd REALLY love info on the feasability of replacing the physical keyboard.

I prefer fewer moving parts, but the droid has the best hardware currently (and the nexus is still very unknown).

It seems a crying shame that for the cost of the slider, you only get a flat rubbery sheet without much better tactile feedback than a virtual keyboard.

Would it be possible to replace that sheet with something a little more rounded?

I looked at the teardown pics here:
    phoneWreck Motorola Droid Teardown Images!

But they don't cover the keyboard well at all.
  4. catfishk

catfishk New Member

there is a keymap file in the /etc folder of the Droid, that maps the buttons. you can really change them to whatever/wherever you want or disable them

but don't, yet, until you know how to revert to stock, just in case. i couldn't tell you which button is which, only that the file is present
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

You might want to take the lead on that.....
  6. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Thats very interesting. You know, changing the camera and volume rocker to turn on/off the screen is nice through screen mode widget (I believe). I think an improvement would be to be able to turn the screen OFF with all these buttons too. Then, if need be a long press could use the original function of these buttons. I dunno, maybe just a personal preference.

Once we have some more time with root and everything else to develop I'm sure many things will be even more customizable.

-Wil
  7. bots

bots New Member

OK so you want to know if you can replace the physical keyboard? Am I reading this correctly? If so, I guess I'll be the first to answer your question - No, you cannot replace the physical keyboard.
  8. Liteoni

Liteoni New Member

I'm curious about this keymap file. Is it possible to modify this file also in Milestone? Have someone modified it succesfully in either one, Droid or Milestone?

I'd like to have scandic keys mapped in my future Milestone. That's why I'm asking...
Search tags for this page

accidentally replaced keyboard on droid razor m

s4 physical mods