Physical Keys After Update

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by PaulJ69, Oct 21, 2011.

1. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 New Member

I couldn't find anyone else who posted this, but after the update, my physical space bar and the 'a' button doesn't work half the time. I either have to hit the space bar in a specific spot or just really hard instead of a normal tap of the key. The 'a' button works half the time, I'd have to go back and re-edit my text. Is there anyway to fix this or am I doomed forever?
  2. jonamurphy

jonamurphy New Member

I noticed this with my space bar, too. I just figured the keyboard was a p.o.s. and was wearing out already.
  3. shaf786

shaf786 New Member

I've got the same problem I have to hit the space bar button twice or even three times along with a lot of other letters which also don't respond aswell. Really annoying considering I bought this just for the keyboard!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  4. SonerAlan

SonerAlan New Member

Yeah mine too has been acting up but only with /? Key..it really gets on my nerves

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  5. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like a hardware issue. If you are up to it, and you want to try everything, I'd factory reset, and if it continues to happen bring it into VZW.
  6. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 New Member

Well I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem. I've been using the horizontal virtual keyboard and I'm kind of liking it. I don't know if i actually need a physical keyboard anymore...
  7. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

It really helps me when editing text and coding. Virtual keyboard (like Hacker's keyboard, free in market) is usually fine, but in certain cases the physical keyboard makes things more productive and easier for me.
  8. shaf786

shaf786 New Member

Short messages on touchscreen is usually fine but long notes and instant messages having an awesome keyboard like the droids makes typing much enjoyable.

Has anyone done a factory reset and seen if its fixed any of the pyschical keys? I'm going to try it tomorrow and still if nothing send back to the US from UK grr

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  9. Warglock

Warglock New Member

After the update my spacebar and cursors stopped jumping around, but now my spacebar doesn't work half the time. I have noticed that it's worse when using Handcent as opposed to something that's a core android function like Gtalk or gmail. I've been using swype way more often for my short texts and web searches. This is what happened on my OG droid since the keyboard sucked so much, I phased it out of my daily use. I hope that I don't have to do this to my d3, this keyboard is the best on any phone I've tried.
  10. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 New Member

It seems like before the update, the keys were to sensitive, then after not sensitive at all.
    shaf786- definitely let us know.
  11. jweber228

jweber228 New Member

Same thing happened to me. Before update, runaway letter/cursor. After update, cetrain keys weren't registering at all. It was certainly a hardware issue and verizon sent a replacement that doesn't have any keyboard issues. Just call *611 and get to tech support and tell them the problem. They will want to do typical troubleshooting like factory reset but just say you've tried that several times alresdy. On a strange side note, the screen on the replacement is brighter and a side by side comparison revealed the old phone also had a reddish hue. Seems like there was a bad batch of d3's floating around.

12. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 New Member

Well I just got off the phone with Verizon and a new phone is coming in the mail tuesday! I told her about before and after the update etc. I said I did the factory reset and battery pulls and everything, the only other thing she had me do was go to settings-applications-manage applications-all-multi touch keyboard, and had me clear the data. Asked if I had a 2 other apps which I didn't and sent me a new phone.
    Now I just have to return this one to stock before I send it...So I'm happy.
  13. SonerAlan

SonerAlan New Member

will they charge you for the replacement?
  14. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 New Member

Not if i get everything unrooted and everything. As long as i return the old phone they wont charge me.

15. SonerAlan

SonerAlan New Member

Hmmm but this will be my second replacement.my first one was for problems with call connection

16. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 New Member

I heard of people getting 3 replacements. It's not your fault you keep getting dud phones. Just call and go through the whole thing and they will say if they are going to charge you or not.

17. SonerAlan

SonerAlan New Member

yup I will call first thing tomorrow
  18. Warglock

Warglock New Member

Hmmm... I may have to get a replacement then. If it is indeed a hardware issue, I wouldn't mind a shiny new phone.

On a second thought, is there any way to pull my nandroid backup off my phone so that I can load it onto the replacement and be back to the way I was in no time? After root/debloat of course.
  19. PaulJ69

PaulJ69 New Member

Does it save on the phone or sd card? I'm sure there's a way to move it over.

20. bigtony8

bigtony8 New Member

I am having similar problems with mine. sometimes i hit the space bar and it puts a period in instead of a space and some keys dont work at all. Also sometimes it puts in too many spaces. when im not looking and texting i have to go back and do a lot of editing. some texts might look like this "This.Phne.Is. Really starting to.Piss.Me off" and sometimes the multi-touch keyboard just locks up. starting to think this phone was used as a prototype for the Bionic and verizons "buy one get one" deal was so they could get rid of all of these to make room for the perfected Bionic.

Also another problem im having is my phone will not vibrate for text messages. Vibrate for phone calls and alarms and just about everything else, but any kind of text notification it wont vibrate which is really a pain because when in class or have my phone in silent/vibrate mode i miss texts because i dont feel the good vibrations. Vibrate is turned on in the system settings and the messages settings.
Search tags for this page
android phones physical keyboard stopped working
built in keyboard keys are not working on droid 3
droid 2 built in keyboard keys not working resolved
droid 2 built in physical keyboard not working resolved

droid 2 spacebar doesn't work

droid 3 certain keys not working
droid 3 keys not responding
droid 3 keys not working right
droid 3 space button doesnt work
key board droid 3 not working
space bar doesnt work on droid 3