Physical handling of S5 ?

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Tried an earlier version of the S(S2? , 3?) and I took it back because I swore every time I picked it up I nearly dropped the %$@#$ thing. The case back was too rounded and slick. Has this improved on the S5?
Also is the Goofy Samsung IU still goofy? Coming from a Motorola, Samsungs just seemed goofy at best. Yes, totally changeable with a Launcher, but...

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The S5 now has a textured back. They have also reduced a lot of the bloat. Check it out for yourself.

OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Ooooooo, tell me about the less bloat. Totally interested :) :)
Can't tell you how I despised seeing Zappos and Amazon mp3 and....

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I personally prefer the rounded design over the more blocky, square shells. But I have small hands so maybe that's why. I wish I could tell you more about the reduced bloat but I don't have my hands on my S5...yet.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Why don't you try installing a case on your phone. Most of the Samsung phones I have owned were slippery. Solution: buy and install a custom case. Protects the phone to some degree, but makes it "gripable" and easier to hold on to, regardless of how the back of the phone is constructed.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the s5 and the bloat is still there.... But you can turn it off and it won't be in the app drawer... Normally I root my phones and get rid of all that stuff... But... Today I will not be rooting my phone(today anyway:))

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tankwylde

Reaction score
The textured back has a great grip. It isn't slippery at all. It almost feels like rubber. As far as bloat, there is far less than my s4, but there is some. However, you can disable them and they dissappear from your app drawer.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The textured back has a great grip. It isn't slippery at all. It almost feels like rubber. As far as bloat, there is far less than my s4, but there is some. However, you can disable them and they dissappear from your app drawer.
Agree. Keep in mind, they do disappear but are still on the phone.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Why don't you try installing a case on your phone. Most of the Samsung phones I have owned were slippery. Solution: buy and install a custom case. Protects the phone to some degree, but makes it "gripable" and easier to hold on to, regardless of how the back of the phone is constructed.
I agree, had an S3 for a couple years, just got the S5. For me the biggest risk of dropping these phones (without a case) is when I'm gripping it by the edges to pull it out of my pocket, the textured back doesn't help in that situation. A case totally eliminates that problem for me. I love the Ballistic cases.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The only solution to no bloat out of the box is to go either nexus or Google edition (or very minimum bloat with moto x,g, or e) . Not all bloat is bad many of the s features I find very useful. Though I would like to see an option where advanced users could purchase a Google edition style phone and choose which s (touchwiz, moto, etc) features to install even if it mean having to install it from the Samsung ( HTC, lg, moto,etc) store.
As far as grip personally I install a case and screen protector to every phone I buy. You can get a nice minimalistic case for less than $30 on Amazon. I was able to buy 3 for 30 for my nexus 5 (spigen with the clear back to show off my wood skin).
But Jeffrey provided you with the best advice in telling you to try it out for yourself. We all have different things we look for or want in a phone so your likes may differ from others. And with Samsung devices you do not even need to go to a carrier corporate store as best buy stores have a Samsung section with a Samsung rep who you can ask questions and get hands on with many of their devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: