Photo management, adding "Albums" to gallery for imported pictures etc..

Coupe

Reaction score
So I have been trying to figure out where new folders for pictures should be located so I can add a new folder or three to cluster pictures that may or may not have been taken with my phone. My goal is to be able to hide that "all photos" so that I can locate pictures faster by knowing what folder they should be in.

None of the normal methods actually work, the folders just dont show up!

I went in and added some folders with pics already in them to various locations and they will not populate when I open up the gallery viewer.

When I plug in via USB I can see "no name" and "HTC storage", I am guessing the "No name" is the SD card.

Inside the "No name" folder I have DCIM, inside that folder I have sub-folders named 100Media, Imported, Misc, Paint & stuff (Paint & stuff are added folders that do not show up in my gallery). My regular photos are inside that 100media location.

FWIW The DCIM folder in "HTCstorage" is empty when viewed from a USB connection.

I know I can use my file explorer to access these folders and pull up those pics, but that is a lot of steps I would like to avoid.

Can anyone help me out here?
Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Its silly crap like this that makes me miss that pos blackberry.

Why can't I add folders that show up in my gallery? I do have images in these folders, and no .nomedia labels are present. I have done a battery pull with no change.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
To show and hide galleries just press your function button while the gallery is open. You'll see that option. If you add a gallery using your file manager you may have to use this feature to show the gallery.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

acejavelin

Reaction score
The Rezound has two storage volumes...

"HTC STORAGE" is the internal storage that is built into the phone. Apps, and most stuff the phone does goes here by default.

The "no name" storage is the external microSD that can be removed from the phone. This is used by a few apps and is intended to store stuff like photos, videos, music, etc. Because it is removable, it is easy to pull it out and insert it into a reader and copy data to and from the device.

The DCIM directory is for the digital camera, do not manually add files there. There is one on each storage volume because the camera stores to the internal storage by default but most people change it to the microSD card, if you changed the Camera App to store files on the SD card, then the one on the internal storage will be empty.

If you are adding pictures you want to show up in the gallery, you should add them to the microSD card, the directory "should" be irrelevant but logic says put it in the media, media/pictures, pictures, or something like that... whenever the phone boots it scans the internal storage and the microSD and updates the gallery, music player, etc by doing a process in the background called a "Media Scan". It also scans for changes whenever a file is added or removed from a volume, or the sd card is mounted/unmounted for some reason (like plugging into your PC then unplugging it).

Basically what I am saying is, it is handled automatically by the phone, if the images are in a logical location like /media/pictures, /media/images, /Pictures, or even /My Pictures it should just show up in the All Pictures Gallery once you disconnect from the PC and let it scan the card, which generally only takes a few seconds unless you changed massive amounts of data.

Islander53

Reaction score
Definitely agree with what "Acejavelin" said in previous post, it's best to create folders on a microSD card. In addition, there are Apps you can download like Vault, Picture SMS that you can move your photos/videos which can hide them.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Definitely agree with what "Acejavelin" said in previous post, it's best to create folders on a microSD card. In addition, there are Apps you can download like Vault, Picture SMS that you can move your photos/videos which can hide them.
Dude, I don't know whether to be impressed, scared, or disturbed that you do/know that... :biggrin:

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
thanks ace, that did it. i was thinking the dcim needed the sub
folders.