phot issues

musicbysterling

Reaction score
Just took graduation photos indoors and every shot has "demon eye" issues. Not red eye but white. Images we're not that impressive. What???? Please help

OP
M

musicbysterling

Reaction score
Yes all did..It had squares over some faces but not all as I was taking photosView attachment 63878 I just gave you the part that had the problem. Rest of photo okay but still not very clear.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the face recognition may have been confused with so many faces, but that's just a guess. Did it do the same with only one person in the frame?

Last edited:

GVLBob

Reaction score
From a quick read on the Internet, I gather that this is a general problem with LED flashes.

OP
M

musicbysterling

Reaction score
Never had this problem with my tired old thunderbolt so it can't be an led flash issue and multiple faces shouldn't cause either. Argh! This was supposed to be a much better camera and I'm not seeing it. Any other ideas?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
At least you got everyone smiling at the same time. :biggrin::biggrin:

There are so many options in that camera, more than some cameras, that you may want to check some of the options. Possibly adjust the ISO settings and test it on someone.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Which camera app were you using? Some people on the internet think this is caused by an overly aggressive red eye reduction module.

OP
M

musicbysterling

Reaction score
Using stock application which was advertised to be amazing. Is it user error or inherent in phone?

GVLBob

Reaction score
Using stock application which was advertised to be amazing. Is it user error or inherent in phone?

Neither, I think. Since this has been reported not only on the iPhone but in 35mm cameras, I think it's a generic problem with cameras where the flash is too close to the lens.

In those cases where you have to do flash photography, have the subjects look slightly away from the camera. That should help.:biggrin:

By the way, there is another thread on pictures taken with the S4. They look pretty spectacular to me. But no flash pictures yet.

On the whole, the camera appears to be a very good one. And the stock app has an amazing amount of pre- and post-processing capabilities.

OP
M

musicbysterling

Reaction score
Maybe I will try night mode with no flash for indoor shots. Wish I'd have thought to check it out before a big event. ;( Just assumed it was at least as good as my 2 year old t-bolt.