Phonemypc vs logmein

HyBReD

Reaction score
I used phonemypc initially and gave logmen a shot because their logmein remote assistant website is quite awesome. However the app for the droid is not. Its slow, clunky and downright annoying at times. PhoneMyPC is muuuch faster and doesnt connect to my pc in some mundane way. My only complaint with pmpc is that at times itll just drop connection with my computer all together and the only way I can get it working again is to reboot the application on my pc. Which I do through logmein :). Anyway, I look forward to your pc-to-pc program as im sick of having to create dummy logmein accounts just to help a friend or family member for 5 minutes every couple weeks.

Typed up on my DInc so forgive the spelling/grammar.

OP
R

razorseal

Reaction score
I used both apps today and logmein pc to pc is great, but phone to pc with logmein is just downright annoying right now. clicking wouldn't work, I can't pinch to zoom yet, and the quality is just very low. when the quality is both at highest, phonemypc is MUCH better. now i'm not sure if it's because logmein is much bigger so they have alot more connections going on compared to phonemypc, but also phonemypc is SOOOOO easy to setup! I didn't even understand how the heck it worked at 1st cuz you don't sign up anywhere or anything

chris98891

Reaction score
does anybody know if phonemypc works with multiple monitors? I have a system with 5 monitors that i need to see, and logmein can see all of them, or can see them individually, but as has been said in this thread, its pretty slow and clunky, and mildly expensive. thanks for any input!

Reaction score
My coworker Scott just answered an email and commented "We should put back the option to view all monitors as one seamless image," and then I found this thread post. From the contents of both, we're guessing they have the same author.

The answer is: Yes. But you must pick them from the menu, one at a time. In other words you can see any number, but no more than one at a time.

We removed the ability to do the latter, but are now considering putting it back.

Reaction score
I just had a chance to read the rest of the posts in this thread. Here are a few bits of info regarding what's been said:

* PhoneMyPC is definately "firewall friendly." The only issue with firewalls is the port we use to connect to our servers (49200), but this issue will go away with the next release (switching back to 443)

* There are been 15 'significant' releases, and two not-so significant ones since PhoneMyPC was released. That's an average of one update about every 3.25 weeks. The current one has been a big PR problem because it is very late. Still, we believe it is worth the wait, and we are doing the right thing. We goofed for sure, but the proper solution is to release a good update, not a rushed one.

Shooshi

Reaction score
Anyone happen to know if phonemypc is capable of waking up a computer on standby? I've read somewhere that Logmein can do it? Does anyone happen to know? Thanks!

Shooshi

Reaction score
it does for me

Do you mean PhoneMyPC does turn on your computer from standby? or were you referring to the logmein? If you were referring to PhoneMyPC, how did you get your computer to wake up through using your phone? Thanks

joker402

Reaction score
i asume you mean when the computer is showing the screen saver? well i just hit the screen and it wakes up

phonemypc

Phreaker47

Reaction score
it does for me

Do you mean PhoneMyPC does turn on your computer from standby? or were you referring to the logmein? If you were referring to PhoneMyPC, how did you get your computer to wake up through using your phone? Thanks

So specifically, you want to know if it will send a WOL packet. I'd be curious too because I use standby on my computer and would be interested in phonemypc IF I can wake the machine up. (I could probably use a second WOL app I suppose.)

For PC to PC I've used Remote Administrator for years.

bad4u

Reaction score
If anyone is using the free logmein, how did you get it to work on your phone?

Skurvy_Pirate

Reaction score
I use PhoneMyPC and I love it. It works great and does everything I need it to. I can't compare it to LogMeIn becuase I have never tried it.

There are only two complaints I have about PhoneMyPc:

1.)The icon is kinda lame and low res lol (Not a big deal I know, that shows that there are no REAL problems with the app)
2.)The most recent update has kind of cripple the app. For some reason it sometimes doesn't show my PC's (although they are always on). And sometimes when it shows them it won't connect to them. Also, when I connect to one then disconnect, it takes a bit to show back up. The update also reduced the speed of refreshes and the quality, even on wifi, which is weird. I can only get about Medium quality now and slow refreshes. I'm sure this will be fixed in the next release though because it used to work flawlessly.

does anybody know if phonemypc works with multiple monitors? I have a system with 5 monitors that i need to see, and logmein can see all of them, or can see them individually, but as has been said in this thread, its pretty slow and clunky, and mildly expensive. thanks for any input!

One of my systems has multiple monitors and it supports it. You just hit menu and pick which monitor you want to view.

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delay; we're usually a bit quicker than this, but have been crazy busy since the July 5 update (and all subsequent updates).

Here are some bits of facts related to the discussion.

1) Waking a sleeping computer
PhoneMyPC does not send a WOL packet, so if the computer goes into deep sleep (no CPU or NIC), PhoneMyPC will not find it.

However, this important feature is on our list. It's just got a few things ahead of it, by customer request (sound, file copy, some UI improvements).

Of course it can unlock a PC and stop the screen saver.

2) Our icon sucks
We know, we know! We're not graphics guys, and we've paid two people to re-do it, and what they came up with sucked worse! We'll get something better done.

3) Not showing PCs
Press Home and run it again. They will show.
This is a bug, a left-over from an "optimization" we added (boy, we won't do THAT again!), and it will be fixed soon.

4) Performance
SSL slowed things down a bit for hosted connections. But, we have solutions planned out and have proven we can get even faster than it was before. Hang in there--it's coming!

DroidX-31

Reaction score
I've been using LogMeIn for a long time now on PC. Now that I have an Android phone I was looking for something that performs like that and I found PhoneMyPC. I do not want to spend $30 for LogMeIn Ignition.

I just installed PhoneMyPC last night on my new Droid X. I like it since it's fast and the other stuff you can do like View Live and Take a SnapShot (which LogMeIn does not have, I think). My problem with PhoneMyPC stems from the fact that I want to use it in my FaceBook games like FarmVille. Yes, I can see the FarmVille running but the clicks I make don't seem to interface correctly with FarmVille. Usually, a drag on FarmVille behaves by moving the farm, however, in PhoneMyPC it moves the entire screen. I'm just wondering if there's a solution to this. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi DroidX-31,

My wife plays FarmVille and Kingdoms of Camelot every day with PhoneMyPC :)

First, we're working on making mouse/keyboard input easier, and we'll have an update soon.

Right now, what you should do is this:

* Turn on "Full Cursor Mode" by pressing the Search button on your phone (4th of the hardware buttons)
* Use this cursor to interact with the game. Tap anyplace to send a click wherever the cursor is, etc.
* Pan your view by pushing the cursor off the screen's edge.
* Drag (in the game) as follows:
- Position the cursor before the drag
- Tap the cursor on your screen, with your finger (it will turn Red, indicating the mouse button is down)
- Move the cursor as usual (only while red, it will be dragging)
- Tap the cursor again to release the mouse button (cursor now turns white)

Let us know if you have any problem with that, and by all means, tell us how you'd like things to work--we listen to every opinion.