Phonebloks Strangely Coming To Fruition Via Motorola (Google)

AndroidDissected

Authorized Affiliate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androiddissected.com

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve probably heard of phonebloks at this point. I formed my opinion a while back and wrote an editorial on it which my colleagues all told me was very good and insightful. To save you a little bit of time, my opinion was that the idea was good in that it would mean a phone designed specifically for everyone and it would cut down on waste. On the other hand, I, among many others found the idea to be completely blind to the real world complications of such an idea. Despite the fact that it doesn’t make any sense to me at all, Motorola announced earlier this week that they have been working on a modular phone project for over a year, called Ara. Note that Motorola has been working on this for a very long time and was not associated with Phonebloks at all, until recently.

The Premise

Motorola basically wants to do with hardware what Android did with software and make it open source. They want to talk to the consumer and find out what they want and then bring the hardware to them in the way that they want it. Since this is Motorola doing it with the full power of Google behind them, this might actually be more possible than it was with the Phonebloks concept. That was simply an idea on the internet calling for all manufacturers to work together to make a modular device. If Motorola is the one making all of the parts (or at least sets the standard) then this actually has a shot of succeeding.

(Continue Reading @ Android Dissected)

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Modular assemblies should be the 'new' method of looking at the hardware.
Now the reality of optimization is upon all of us, swapping a single module for a better RF system, or one capable of use in another area or country, without giving up on the same form factor and feel.
You get to keep your files, images, web data and all that is near and dear to you, plus you can upgrade each module as the need arises, and not have to worry about the newest platform or phone, you can swap the data module for a current build level, exchange cameras and resolutions....The standard is to create a purely personalized look and feel so you can be confident that what you have, is designed by you, for you!

If you need exended battery use/life, get an extra battery module, need to use your phone in Brazil and then Germany, add the proper modules and get it done, you buy what you need, and you always have them.
No more waiting for the carriers to sell you on the latest phone, you already have that, and far more.

I see nothing but a pure win win scenario here, so what could be better than a self-designed phone customized around you and your lifestyle?

You customize cars to speak about your inner self, what is so different with phones, and these, are always close to you, expressing who you are and what makes you 'tick'.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Modular assemblies should be the 'new' method of looking at the hardware.

You customize cars to speak about your inner self, what is so different with phones, and these, are always close to you, expressing who you are and what makes you 'tick'.

I agree, and I'm happy it may actually be coming...but haven't we had that ability with desktop PCs and even to an extent with laptops (do I hear a "Dell" ringing?), for quite some time? Truth is, the reason it's taken this long to get to us is due to miniaturization. It's pretty easy to open the 15" X 20" X 8" computer tower and pull out a outdated video card and insert a more current one...or for that matter replace the entire motherboard and processor/memory if someone so chooses to do. However, give that ability to those purchasing a phone and the modules must be very small with tiny connectors and flexible ribbon cables or dozens of pins which seem not much thicker than a human hair that can easily be damaged if not properly seated. How many end users are skilled enough to approach such a task with any level of competence?

What has to happen is that a standardized "card" upgrade system has to be developed, not much different than the SIM and MicroSD cards have now which use spring-loaded contacts in a slot-loading configuration, but that will support things such as a new processor, additional RAM, enhanced video capability, etc. This is the only way I can see this working. Now of course, replacing a screen could be a custom contact/hinge system, perhaps but I really don't see that coming (yet).

Still, this is exciting none the less. The mock-up in the OP pic does seem to address the modular issue with a breadboard pin configuration, but I just don't see that coming to fruition simply due to the risk of irreparable damage to those pins. We will see.

:biggrin:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is when another type of business appears, phone upgrade stores. Where those with skills and knowledge help those who lack it.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Speaking of those pins, the Motorola Saber line had pins even thinner and far more susceptible to damage from bending moments, and all the internal modules had these pins, from the reference oscillator, to the receiver and the synthesizer.
Phosphor bronze is brittle by design, and they may be stout, but they do not survive being bent more than once or twice before they snap.
I can only hope the pins on these blocks are spring loaded and thicker, which I would assume they would be, given the very design suggesting this.

I would love to see what a real dual core processor with large amounts of on-chip memory would do for the write through performance, as well as cache.
*Stroking beard* I wonder how a 1 GB memory cache will perform while I access video files and download the latest CPS for my digital radios?
I can only hope we move upwards, instead of backwards here, I would hate to live through another period of memory shortages, reduced core capacities, and slowed processor access timing from lack of available memory.
We may see a 3D capability phone system being available, with the appropriate apps available to make use of gaming-type platforms, and I am certain there are a lot of those folks itching to put something like that through its paces with the prospect of dual camera systems, enhanced graphics capacity, increased memory handling....the possibilities are endless!

The world of cellphones will begin to take on a new life and meaning, as well as increased life cycles for these products, reducing waste and toxic substances in landfills.

*If we can only get the Joe six-pack types to stop dumping those plastic carriers in the water for the waterfowl to get snagged in*

Big Ry

Reaction score
This whole concept will have to be immensely dumbed down for it to take off with consumers. I know people who don't know how to drag and drop or locate their music that shows up in iTunes. People are stupid, especially nowadays.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This whole concept will have to be immensely dumbed down for it to take off with consumers. I know people who don't know how to drag and drop or locate their music that shows up in iTunes. People are stupid, especially nowadays.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I would't go so far as to say "stupid", but perhaps it's fair to say that the greatest percentage of cellphone carriers are technically inept. That isn't necessarily the case with our community as the greatest percentage of those who seek answers through these channels are the type of person who will seek answers in other aspects of their life's needs as well, and will do what it takes to learn how to DIY.