Phone won't timeout

aft_lizard01

Reaction score
Good day. I have had my phone since the 18th and beginning yesterday if I don't manually put the phone to sleep it will simply stay on until the battery dies. Has anybody had this issue but me? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I would try pulling out the battery with the phone on (this is called a hard reset). Leave the battery out for about 10 seconds and put it back in and boot it up to see if you still have the issue.

se1501

Reaction score
I have experienced the same thing today. I didn't try a regular restart. I went straight to pulling the battery out like Sydman suggested. It looks like that fixed the problem for now. I have to think that if there is two of us having this issue that there is a recurring problem. So even though the problem is resolved at the moment, I would hate for it to happen again depleting the battery at the wrong time. We will have to see. One thing that I am curious is if you have a case / cover for your phone? I am using a Ballistic case and am wondering if that might be the issue. Being a resistive screen, if the case is contacting the screen, it could potentially keep it from sleeping. Just a thought.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have experienced the same thing today. I didn't try a regular restart. I went straight to pulling the battery out like Sydman suggested. It looks like that fixed the problem for now. I have to think that if there is two of us having this issue that there is a recurring problem. So even though the problem is resolved at the moment, I would hate for it to happen again depleting the battery at the wrong time. We will have to see. One thing that I am curious is if you have a case / cover for your phone? I am using a Ballistic case and am wondering if that might be the issue. Being a resistive screen, if the case is contacting the screen, it could potentially keep it from sleeping. Just a thought.

The screen on the S3 isn't resistive. It's capacitive, just like the screen on nearly all smartphones over the past 3-4 years. The case doesn't have the conductive properties necessary to engage a capacitive screen, so you can rule out your case as the culprit. :)

Good day. I have had my phone since the 18th and beginning yesterday if I don't manually put the phone to sleep it will simply stay on until the battery dies. Has anybody had this issue but me? Any ideas on how to fix this?

This is the first that I've heard of this issue with the S3. What do you have your screen timeout set for? If you're not sure where to look, go to Settings -> Display -> Screen timeout to check.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Could it be a problem with the eye recognition setting? (the function that has the front facing camera look at your face, and if your eyes are looking at the screen it doesn't shut off)

se1501

Reaction score
The screen on the S3 isn't resistive. It's capacitive, just like the screen on nearly all smartphones over the past 3-4 years. The case doesn't have the conductive properties necessary to engage a capacitive screen, so you can rule out your case as the culprit. :)

This is the first that I've heard of this issue with the S3. What do you have your screen timeout set for? If you're not sure where to look, go to Settings -> Display -> Screen timeout to check.

Wow, you are absolutely correct about the screen not being resistive. I have done some embedded systems development with resistive screens in the past and I simply assumed. Thanks for correcting me respectfully. That's better than what you get from most. To be honest, I have sworn off cell phones completely until my wife forced me to get this one. Yeah, yeah, I know a developer without a phone. Anyway, I'm stuck with this oversized phone/undersized tablet (half full or half empty. pick your poison) and it definitely has some issues. As for this issue, the case obviously can't be the problem. Now the front camera suggestion is interesting. The first time I noticed the problem was when I went to bed the other night on a full battery and woke up with a dead one. I was baffled by what drained the battery on a "sleeping" phone so quick, but I chocked it up to me being a little nuts, recharged it, and went on. My point is that it was a completely dark room. That doesn't mean the phone couldn't have been confused. Now yesterday I noticed it was sitting on a table wide awake. I thought someone had called so I picked it up and found no missed calls etc. I laid it back down to find the same thing a few minutes later. I forced the phone to sleep, woke it, and then waited for it to go to sleep in the matter of a few seconds like it normally does. Never went to sleep. That's when I found this forum and the recommendation to do a hard reset. I did that and all seems fixed. But, this has happened more than once to me and also at least once to the other user. While I might be tech savvy on most fronts, i really hate phones and have never cared to try to figure out all the bells and whistles on this critter. So I wouldn't assume that there is something I know or should know. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I will update if I find a solution or cause.

Thanks

qwelton

Reaction score
Same Here

My SIII is literally 3 days old and I just had this problem. So pissed I couldn't get the Nexus4.
Restarting seemed to resolve this issue for now but agreed that if this happens and drains my battery, I'll be furious.

Also, I don't see the option to not have screen turn on when I get a notification. Why the hell would I want it to turn on automatically!? Is there a way to set this? Am I just not seeing it?

longhorn31

Reaction score
Also, I don't see the option to not have screen turn on when I get a notification. Why the hell would I want it to turn on automatically!? Is there a way to set this? Am I just not seeing it?

Same problem here...mine is about five weeks old and has done this since day 1....I use it as an alarm, so its on my bedside table and the display pretty much stays on all night....