Phone won't even turn on

qwekenny

Reaction score
So today, my phone suddenly started turning off and on again until it decided it wont even turn on. I've tried taking the battery out to see if that will restart it, and it turns the phone on until Galaxy S3 logo pops up then nothing happens. I also think the lock button maybe broken or something I'm not sure. I don't have enough money to buy a new phone so i would like to have some help from what seems like a bunch of good people like you. Thanks in advance.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

This may sound strange but it may help. Plug it into a runniong PC for about 3 hours then try turning it on again. It's possible the battery is bad or there is a switch inside that may need to be reset and that should reset it.

OP
Q

qwekenny

Reaction score
Does just plugging it in anything work too? As in does it have to be a computer

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There was a reason I said PC. If you can find anything else that outputs 500 mA you could use it but the point was a low watt low voltage trickle and I'm not certain you will find anything else that would get the same result.

OP
Q

qwekenny

Reaction score
Alright i will do that. I'll post later tonight if it works

debrad0307

Reaction score
Any luck on the lock button? My husband's lock button stopped working as well. There was no water damage and he didn't drop it. Just wondering if you were able to get that to work.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 4

OP
Q

qwekenny

Reaction score
Yes I did that, but it didn't work. I've had it plugged into the computer for a while now and it's still the same. I'm quite worried now

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try blowing out the power button with canned air or low pressure compressed air. My Incredible 1 would get goo stuck under the power button or track ball from time to time, making them not be able to fully release, and a cleaning with forced air always did the trick.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
Q

qwekenny

Reaction score
Ok so i got some compressed air and sprayed it on my lock button. Nothing is really happening. Is there a certain way i need to spray it?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so i got some compressed air and sprayed it on my lock button. Nothing is really happening. Is there a certain way i need to spray it?

No just press it in and spray all over the opening.
Another oddball, but cheap, thing to try that works on some older phones is remove the battery, rub the battery and phone contacts with a pencil eraser. If corrosion has built even the slightest bit on either it can give a false voltage or temperature reading, the phone thinks the battery is bad, shuts down, sees battery isn't bad during power down, powers back up, repeat, hence a possibility for your boot loop. While the battery is out check for any swelling. If there is any at all replace the battery asap because it could be dangerous. If it's not swollen or corroded you may, as written by another above, need to replace the battery.
Again, hope that helps

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

OP
Q

qwekenny

Reaction score
Ok so i rubbed my battery down with an eraser. I just learned that something is either wrong with the lock button or something of the sort. Cause when i unplug my battery and put it back in, it turns on immediately

tylerw1285

Reaction score
What version? If you get the logo then you can do a factory reset. Hold power, menu, and volume up for idk five seconds. Then it should be fine. You will lose everything that was on there. First thing update to current android platform. Settings, down to about, software update.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so i rubbed my battery down with an eraser. I just learned that something is either wrong with the lock button or something of the sort. Cause when i unplug my battery and put it back in, it turns on immediately

That sounds like your power button in stuck partially or fully depressed. Try flicking it while blowing into it with the air mentioned before? If you keep it often in a pocket it could be something very stuck inside and might take a lot of effort. If it doesn't have any spring back when pressed it's either the spring is broken or something is stuck.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post