Phone with physical keyboard

jdougal

Reaction score
Ok seriously? When can I upgrade? I'm a person who hasn't had the same phone for more then 6 months for the past ten years. Yet it has been over a year now with my Droid and I want a freaking new phone! My only sticking point is that it must have a physical keyboard. The Droid 2 wasn't worth my time or money. Are there any plans for a real upgrade to my Droid? Please someone shed some light on it for me. Codenames, projected release dates, anything!

kptphalkon

Reaction score
If you're hoping for a miraculous upgrade in the near future, think again.

I take it you like having the best of the best? The droid 3 is rumored to not support 4G, and best guess is to wether or not it will be dual core/ddr2.

From everything I've read in my short time on this forum the original droid is still, albeit somewhat outdated, king of droid.

Unlocked bootloader ftw.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're hoping for a miraculous upgrade in the near future, think again.

I take it you like having the best of the best? The droid 3 is rumored to not support 4G, and best guess is to wether or not it will be dual core/ddr2.

From everything I've read in my short time on this forum the original droid is still, albeit somewhat outdated, king of droid.

Unlocked bootloader ftw.

I think that you have that opinion because most of our members still have the original Droid. People who own an X or a D2 would beg to differ.

The thing that seperates the Droid from it's upgraades is the fact that the boot loader wasn't locked down. People who like rooting and customizing love it. But stock phone to stock phone it can't touch the X, D2G, Incredible, Droid Pro, etc.

Speaking of the Droid Pro it does have a physical keyboard. There probably will be more in the near future. To me 4G may be here, but it's not everywhere. Completion of 4G won't be until 2013.

OP
jdougal

jdougal

Reaction score
I don't know if best of the best is it. I just like to play around w/ stuff and get bored easily. I love my Droid, but its become less stable and irritating me. Plus I'm just looking for something new.

I haven't done to much research into 4G but assuming it'll come with tiered bandwidth and more $ per month like w/ Sprint. With that being the case I really am not totally in need of that just yet. Are there any details/specs etc for the Droid 3?

TeddyMarinaro

Reaction score
Nothing more than rumors right now. I'd reccomend the droid 2 global at the moment, unless you want to jump ship for the evo shift on sprint.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Id recommend the droid 2 global if you want horrendous battery life, tons of stock bloat, only one rom (but the dev team get-er-done are currently working in fully porting others), and a global capability that voids your warranty (sim unlock) if you dont want to pay $100 a month for 75 MB in select countries.

On that record sim unlock, so far as i know, is not revertable like rooting

OP
jdougal

jdougal

Reaction score
Well this sucks, so still nothing new for Verizon huh? All I want is a Droid X/Thunderbolt/something with a keyboard.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Well this sucks, so still nothing new for Verizon huh? All I want is a Droid X/Thunderbolt/something with a keyboard.

Well the d2 is your only thing as of right now if you wanna stick with big red

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I went with the original Droid over the HTC Incredible and the X because of the physical keyboard. I still use it quite a bit, but it's no longer a deal breaker if my next phone doesn't have the slide out keyboard. Using Swype has made the touch screen a lot easier to use for a keyboard. If you are really hankering for a new device and don't want the Droid 2, try playing around with some alternative keyboards on your Droid and see if that helps. You may find that you don't mind a soft keyboard at all.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the D3 will be released in the coming months. it was originally rumored to be coming Q2, but latest rumors have it coming in the summer to compete with the iP5. rumored specs are dual core with a 4" screen (increased from 3.7", which should allow for more room on a pkb). no word on whether it will be LTE, but probably not.

OP
jdougal

jdougal

Reaction score
I went with the original Droid over the HTC Incredible and the X because of the physical keyboard. I still use it quite a bit, but it's no longer a deal breaker if my next phone doesn't have the slide out keyboard. Using Swype has made the touch screen a lot easier to use for a keyboard. If you are really hankering for a new device and don't want the Droid 2, try playing around with some alternative keyboards on your Droid and see if that helps. You may find that you don't mind a soft keyboard at all.

I've tried Swype, and while better then the normal onscreen, I was still slow. Just something about the physical keyboard and actually "pressing" the key in.

the D3 will be released in the coming months. it was originally rumored to be coming Q2, but latest rumors have it coming in the summer to compete with the iP5. rumored specs are dual core with a 4" screen (increased from 3.7", which should allow for more room on a pkb). no word on whether it will be LTE, but probably not.

Thanks for the info. I'm considering switching to Sprint and picking up the Evo Shift. Maybe I'll wait for the time being to see what the D3 ends up being.