Phone went swimming

Benit

Reaction score
Phone into lake a couple days ago, newer Razr maxx. I removed the cards and all appears to be dry. (all ports and camera lens clear) I tried hooking it up to my Pc and got the white light only. When I plug it into wall charger I get this screen

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)

0A.77

eMMC Info: Size 16GB

To return to normal mode-first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery Low

Cannot Program

Connect USB

Data Cable

Help me obi wan. DH is electronic computer whiz geek. In slave labor camp right now, anything we can do? Thank you

OP
B

Benit

Reaction score
It happened tues am, we were camping. It was very warm and dry (85) in the daytime. I just left it out in the air and then overnight in some rice the last two nights. The camera lens had obvious moisture until today when it all appears dry.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm wondering if the damage has already been done. It boots up so that's a plus I guess. Hopefully someone with more experience in the Razr or phones that took a swim chimes in.

OP
B

Benit

Reaction score
Any advice or options? buy the programming cable from TBH? Send in to Motorola? TY

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd give moto a call and see what can be done. It won't be replaced under warranty as it was water damaged, but you can find out how much repairs or even a refurb may cost.

Another option I'd probably take is heading over to your local cell repair shop if there are any around and see what they can maybe do.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Aside from the warranty, you can try putting it into a bag of dry white rice. The white rice is excellent at absorbing moisture.

Granted, since it was dropped into a lake and the water was probably "dirty" there may be some permanent residue. Also, since you weren't able to properly dry it out, the rice trick might not work at this time but is still worth trying. After leaving it in the rice for a day or so, you can try charging it again, but use the wall charger rather than the PC cable.

David

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Aside from the warranty, you can try putting it into a bag of dry white rice. The white rice is excellent at absorbing moisture.

Granted, since it was dropped into a lake and the water was probably "dirty" there may be some permanent residue. Also, since you weren't able to properly dry it out, the rice trick might not work at this time but is still worth trying. After leaving it in the rice for a day or so, you can try charging it again, but use the wall charger rather than the PC cable.

David

I agree with yellowjacket. Even though you don't see any moisture anymore doesn't mean there is none. Moisture can hide on the motherboard, between and under chips.

Give it at least 24 hours in rice before calling it quits.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ed ke6bnl

Reaction score
find someone that does refrigeration and do what I did for my girl, put phone in a ball jar and silver soldier a fitting on the lid and run a vacuum pump on the jar for a day or so an put a small light on the jar to warm it up. Refrigerators and air cond. need to be evacuated deeply to remove moisture to work.