Phone went for a swim :( Suggestions?

AuD14

Reaction score
My Razr MAXX HD went for a swim last night :furious::crying::censored::censored::censored::censored::icon_ cry::icon_ cry::icon_ cry::icon_ cry:
Worked ok for a minute or two after then screen started going crazy. Riced it overnight, tried to power on this morning, No dice, back in the rice and on top of the satellite box for a little heat for several hours. Plugged it in and it powered up, had signal/wifi however touch screen is non-responsive. I've got it back in the rice and on the heat. Any suggestions?

kijutsu

Reaction score
My Razr MAXX HD went for a swim last night :furious::crying::censored::censored::censored::censored::icon_ cry::icon_ cry::icon_ cry::icon_ cry:
Worked ok for a minute or two after then screen started going crazy. Riced it overnight, tried to power on this morning, No dice, back in the rice and on top of the satellite box for a little heat for several hours. Plugged it in and it powered up, had signal/wifi however touch screen is non-responsive. I've got it back in the rice and on the heat. Any suggestions?

I believe the 'rice routine' requires 48 hours disconnected from power living in your dry heated rice mix before even attempt to power it on... Sorry to say -- it may be toast.. I certainly hope not though. Your best suggestion is to leave on the heat and rice for a couple days minimum and see if it comes back. I'm not familiar with how those things are assembled -- I know the Droid 4 you could take the back off. I would recommend, if it doesn't void the warranty, yanking the battery and back off and submerging them both in rice separately.

Hoping the best for ya.

OP
A

AuD14

Reaction score
That's the one con about the RAZRs, sealed body, no battery to pop

kijutsu

Reaction score
That's the one con about the RAZRs, sealed body, no battery to pop

I was afraid that was the case. I know the OG Razr and OG Razr Maxx are sealed, but am unfamiliar with the new ones... Best suggestion -- power off, leave in rice for 2 days minimum. Best of luck.

snowman

Reaction score
It's gonna take 2 or 3 days of rice to help it dry out then I run a hair dryer of it a while after that , also for info there is somehting inside that Verizon can tell if it got wet it turns color just so you know..........good luck I have had good luck in the past with ham radios in the rice, power it on to early is really the worst it can fry it.

swharshbar

Reaction score
Biggest mistake people make is turning it on too soon. You may have been able to save it.. but I think now it's too late. Good luck.

drewrivera

Reaction score
So the nano technology is not good enough for that swim? I thought it was water resistant? Smh. Sorry to hear man

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

heavyvino

Reaction score
When my daughters continum went for a swim I wanked the battery and put both phone and battery into rice, kept it in the rice for a week. When we put the battery back in the only problem was that it takes twice as long to boot up other than that worked good. A year later still working but starting to act goofy, guess she is going to get my razr.

diablo81588

Reaction score
So the nano technology is not good enough for that swim? I thought it was water resistant? Smh. Sorry to hear man

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

It was never designed to be submerged in water. The nano coating protects against moisture and light splashes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

hotice

Reaction score
That's lame! I would at least give moto a call and complain about the nano coating being ineffective. Maybe they can do something for you.

R

RETG

That's lame! I would at least give moto a call and complain about the nano coating being ineffective. Maybe they can do something for you.

Understand the difference between water "resistant" and water "proof."

Decent explanation:
When it comes to the electronics industry, when a product is labeled as water resistant, it means that the product can withstand the entry of water in normal situations like rain and snow. But these must not be taken out in heavy rains or submerged in water. If the product is water proof, it means that it can be submerged in water. The underwater camera cases, swimmer’s watches, and the like are water proof products. A water resistant watch can be used while cycling in the rain, fishing, and even in your normal day to day activities. A water proof watch can be used in your day to day activities as well as underwater diving and swimming.

OP
A

AuD14

Reaction score
Understand the difference between water "resistant" and water "proof."

Decent explanation:
When it comes to the electronics industry, when a product is labeled as water resistant, it means that the product can withstand the entry of water in normal situations like rain and snow. But these must not be taken out in heavy rains or submerged in water. If the product is water proof, it means that it can be submerged in water. The underwater camera cases, swimmer’s watches, and the like are water proof products. A water resistant watch can be used while cycling in the rain, fishing, and even in your normal day to day activities. A water proof watch can be used in your day to day activities as well as underwater diving and swimming.

Yeah if it just got splashed on I would maybe complain a little, but it definitely was totally submerged! I've got a new one on the way, they thankfully were having an open enrollment for insurance (so they said) and let me add insurance, wait a week and make a claim. So my new one should be here tomorrow. Was able to get my pictures off via USB as I'd never gotten around to putting them on an SD card. Anyone have a clue to get past the lockscreen without the touchscreen working lol?