Phone Warranty

stevowns

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forums and also had a couple questions in regards to my warranty.

Long story short, my 3 year old nephew was playing around with my phone and the following day (I didn't see my phone until the next day) the phone wont turn on. I don't know if he is the one that caused it or the phone itself being faulty. At first I thought it was water damage, but after looking at all the indicators (all 3 to my knowledge), it doesn't seem so because all the stickers still have X's on them still. I called into vzw and told them my situation. I got a replacement phone and sent in the old one. At this point I don't know what caused the phone to not turn on, but if it is water damage, (assuming the indicators aren't the only cause for it) and they charge me the full retail price for the phone, would I be able to send it back instead of paying the retail price? I read on the receipt they gave me that this could happen if it were to be water damage but like I said, all the indicators still had x's on them so I ruled it out when talking to the operator. Let me know your input, I'm just trying to figure out options for the worst case scenario right now. Thanks!

OP
S

stevowns

Reaction score
Those water sensors are ridiculously sensitive. If there were water damage you would know it. I think you are safe.

This post is Incredible 2!

I'm just afraid there are indicators inside the phone that I am not aware of. I don't want my misdiagnose of the phone cost me 500 dollars for a 2 year old droid... I wouldn't feel as bad if I knew the true cause or if I knew the options if they were to conclude that it is indeed, water damage. :frown:

VZW_CS

Reaction score
stevowns, I understand your concern with receiving your replacment phone and sending your non-working phone back to us. We appreciate you taking the time to review your phone in detail before notifying us of the issues for replacement. In addition to calling us to request a replacement phone, we allow each customer the opportunity to go to a corporate store in their area to have a technical representative the opportunity to evaluate the device for replacement. This is a great option because they can take a more detailed look at the phone to pinpoint what may be wrong before sending your phone to the warehouse for evaluation. When your phone reaches the warehouse, our representatives determine whether any malfunction in the device resulted from exposure to liquid by following the steps below: --Corrosion or discoloration on the charging, headset or memory ports --Moisture under the display lens If there is water damage found, the full retail cost of the device is charged to your account. Once the full retail cost of your phone has been charged, you are unable to send your replacement phone back to us and we are unable to send the damaged phone back to you. I hope this information is helpful. KinquanaH_VZW Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

OP
S

stevowns

Reaction score
stevowns, I understand your concern with receiving your replacment phone and sending your non-working phone back to us. We appreciate you taking the time to review your phone in detail before notifying us of the issues for replacement. In addition to calling us to request a replacement phone, we allow each customer the opportunity to go to a corporate store in their area to have a technical representative the opportunity to evaluate the device for replacement. This is a great option because they can take a more detailed look at the phone to pinpoint what may be wrong before sending your phone to the warehouse for evaluation. When your phone reaches the warehouse, our representatives determine whether any malfunction in the device resulted from exposure to liquid by following the steps below: --Corrosion or discoloration on the charging, headset or memory ports --Moisture under the display lens If there is water damage found, the full retail cost of the device is charged to your account. Once the full retail cost of your phone has been charged, you are unable to send your replacement phone back to us and we are unable to send the damaged phone back to you. I hope this information is helpful. KinquanaH_VZW Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

Is there anyway right now for me to prevent the charge from happening? I wouldn't have sent it in if that was the risk I was taking since I'm not quite sure how the phone was damaged due to my nephew playing with it. I assumed it wasn't liquid damage since all the indicators checked out fine (what I am assuming what they're used for). As you said, I took it into a corporate store before sending it and they told me my best option is to use the warranty and send it in. Was I misdiagnosed by them as well? They should have records that I have visited the store a couple days prior to calling in to the technical services to have a replacement phone sent. Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.