Phone upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by jrracinfan, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

My 2 years with the OG is coming up soon, question being; What to upgrade to? Not switching to a 4g plan and may not be able to afford a Nexus or Rezound. Droid Incredible 2? I got spoiled with all the roms to choose from.....

Your input is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums
  2. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

No suggestions or recommendations? As of right now, the Droid Incredible 2 really looks promising.
  3. asdfghjkl_em

asdfghjkl_em New Member

I love my incredible 2, the only thing is if you get the red or white one, its very hard to find replacements for (back plates especially). You can find heaps of black ones though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums
  4. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Was also thinking a Droid 3 for it's HDMI out and 1080p vs 720p recording of the DInc2. Locked bootloader is a moot point now since there are custom roms out.
  5. mamawm

mamawm Member

aren't you grandfathered in to the unlimited plan? 4g does not cost extra. you pay the same 3g or 4g.
  6. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Wait, so is it a definite I will be grandfathered to unlimited 4g if I switch? If so, I think the Bionic will quench my thirst.
  7. mamawm

mamawm Member

yep, whatever you have now is what you will stay with, just with a new phone. and i love my bionic, got it on release day and haven't had any problems.
  8. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Thinking LG Sprectrum also, will be watching the dev scene for it though as no known way to get root on it yet. So as of right now I'm thinking about a Droid 3.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. mamawm

mamawm Member

all of the top tier phones on verizon right now are great phones. like i said above, i love my bionic and have no desire to switch to anything else. but you should go check out all of them in the store and see what feels right to you. don't forget the droid 4 went on sale this past friday and has already been rooted. and if you are really into flashing roms, etc. the nexus can't be beat.
  10. Insidious

Insidious New Member

HTC Rezound for the win!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  11. Mike8016

Mike8016 Member

Go with the Bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  12. iGrizz

iGrizz New Member

I love my Nexus. Since you have your NE2 you can upgrade to anything you want. Any 4G phone you go with will l be the same price data wise as any 3G phone. Only difference being the price of the phone itself. You should look into the Rezound, RAZR MAXX, Droid 4 and the Nexus. All great phones!
  13. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Thank you

Ok through Amazon's Wireless store, I can go up to $50. Here's what it narrows down to:
    http://img.techpowerup.org/120212/Capture034.jpg

Looking at the Free DInc2 there.

Droid 3 on Wirefly is free and includes a hardware bundle
    http://img.techpowerup.org/120212/Capture035.jpg
    Bionic on Wirefly is $50
    http://img.techpowerup.org/120212/Capture037.jpg

Like I said, although I would LOVE to have the Rezound($159 on Amazon/$179 on Wirefly), I know I probably won't be able to afford it when the time comes in a few weeks. Out of those depicted Which ones would you go for? If the price drops quite uncontrollably on the Rezound I will definitely go that route I guess. Really REALLY liking the Droid 3 bundle right now.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  14. mamawm

mamawm Member

right now amazom has the the droid 4 for $99.
  15. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

If it ends up I can scrounge up the change and still at that price I will go that route. Thanks!

16. sweat90lx

sweat90lx New Member

I just upgraded. my Rezound will be here tomorrow. the D4 was $149 and Rezound $169. after playing with the phones at the store, my only other choice would have been Razr Maxx but I didnt want to spend that much.
    the D4 screen wasnt that great and not having an external battery. Its really up to what you want and how much you are willing to spend
  17. jjlittle1

jjlittle1 New Member

Go to slickdeals.net do a search for razr. Youll find a link for 25% off your purchase at letstalk.com. Got my droid razr for 135 on upgrade from my og droid. You cant beat that deal anywhere or choose any other phone, maxx is 189 on this deal.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums
  18. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Really wish I had $150 to swallow on a phone, it would go towards a Rezound in a heartbeat.

EDIT:
    What's the odds of the LG Spectrum getting root & ICS?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  19. mamawm

mamawm Member

the spectrum is scheduled to get ics, but i don't know how far down the road that is. and while it does not have a huge developer following, there are some people out there trying to gain root, and they will succeed.
  20. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

The bad news is that you have no choice. All the new phones are 4G.

The good news is that 4G is free on Verizon. They dont charge extra for it like other carriers do. My bill on my Rezound is exactly the same as it was on my Droid 1.

Of the new phones, the only ones worth getting (IMO) are the Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Razr Maxx, and LG Spectrum.

Galaxy Nexus - It is Vanilla Android, has a 720p display (AMOLED). It has no SD slot. It is the only phone with embedded NFC hardware. It is by far the easiest to root. It is 4.65", so it is big.
    The things I like about it: It has a curved glass display which resists fingerprints which is cool. I do like AMOLED. NFC is something I'd want if I had a choice, though it isnt a deal killer. Vanilla Android is always desirable.
    Things I dont like about it: No SD slot was a deal killer for me. I dont like that it lacks hardware buttons (all nav buttons are software-only). It has had lots of reception issues, though they are not universal.

HTC Rezound - It has a 720p display with the best pixel density of any phone (including the iPhone). It has both SD and a removable battery. It comes with an expensive set of earbuds for free (they retail for over $100 and people are buying them on eBay). It is 4.3". While it will never be as easy to root and mod as the nexus, it is the only other phone to allow unlocking....HTC will let you unlock your phone via their website.
    The things I like about it: I love the display (that Pixel density rules). It has the best camera out of all these phones, and one of the best on any phone period right now. It has an SD slot and 64-gig SD cards have been confirmed to work with it (so you could have up to 80 gigs of storage). I personally love the earbuds and I do think they sound better than the cheaper ones I had before. I love that HTC allows me to unlock it if I want. The Rezound has very good 4G reception and GPS...IMo the best out of these phones.
    Things I dont like about it: It is the thickest and heaviest of these phones, though it is thinner and lighter than your Droid 1. The buttons are too flush to the case IMO. It is polluted with Sense UI (though I just use GoLauncher anyway). No NFC.

LG Spectrum - This is best described as "Rezound lite" IMO....it's specs are comparable to the Rezound in almost every way. But it has less storage, a worse camera, and a better display. It is 4.5" (so the pixel density isnt quite as good as the Rezound, though it is still way above par).
    The things I like about it: It has arguably the best display of any phone right now. While the Camera isnt as good as the Rezound, it is still above par IMO. It does have both SD and a removable battery. The display uses Gorilla Glass.
    Things I dont like about it: It is LG. It is polluted with LG's hideous UI. It only has 4 gigs of internal storage. The phone does feel cheap and is kinda ugly. No NFC.

Moto Razr - This is the only non-720p phone. It's big draw is it's name, and it's thinness and durability. It has no removable battery, but the battery life on the Maxx variant is outstanding. I believe it is 4.5", though the case makes it seem larger.
    The things I like about it: It is the thinnest and lightest of these phones and maybe of any smartphone right now. The display uses gorilla glass and the back is Kevlar...you pretty much shouldnt need a case for it. It has (probably) the most powerful CPU of the phones listed here, although not by a huge margin. 64-gig SD cards have been confirmed to work on this as well.
    Things I dont like about it: Non removable battery. It is polluted with Motoblur UI. While the qHD screen is actually very nice, this is 2012, and 720p should be a requirement for any high end smartphone IMO. Moto are Nazis when it comes to rooting...expect them to throw many roadbloacks in your way. No NFC.

My recommendation: Rezound > Nexus > Spectrum > Razr Maxx

I would not get hung up on ICS...all of these phones will be getting it shortly.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.