Phone Upgrade Decision

Discussion in 'cvpcs' started by AuroEdge, Nov 25, 2010.

1. AuroEdge

AuroEdge New Member

I'm torn right now -- Fascinate or Droid 2? Or should I wait till early next year?

The reason why I'm posting here is that I am keeping Sapphire in mind for making this purchase.
  2. lsdozer

lsdozer New Member

I had a rooted D1 since last December, and loved it. Just bought a D2 for my son and an HTC Incredible for me.

To me, if you have a rooted D1, I wouldnt mess with the D2. There isnt much difference and the keyboard isnt noticeably better. Wait for something else.

I didnt play with a fascinate, wanted something thinner without a keyboard this time. I do like the Incredible
  3. dbst

dbst New Member

I would just wait till the Motorola "Terminator" comes out early next year and get that
  4. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Pointless. Just going to be as locked down and as hard to dev on as the recent motorola phones. I'd wait for an HTC or Sammy phone that comes around early next year. Those will keep up hardware wise and still be rootable, rommable, and also be able to change their kernel. Maybe something like the Inc HD or that crazy samsung phone that rumors have been floating around about.
  5. pdroid

pdroid New Member

If you can wait until the spring, there should be some very nice devices out.

I myself am waiting to get something LTE-capable.
  6. chadwick108

chadwick108 Member

I totally agree with "tanknspank" I am definitely waiting for the terminator although I am due for an upgrade still running rooted droid 1 having fun with different roms and settings.
  7. AuroEdge

AuroEdge New Member

I had a feeling spring would be when many new phones hit the market. Boy does the Terminator sound exciting. Too bad it will most certainly be locked
  8. AuroEdge

AuroEdge New Member

I actually went ahead and got a Fascinate a couple weeks ago. Hurray Android 2.1! All told I do enjoy the battery life and brilliant display. The ROMs for it are nice but they're not anywhere near cvpcs quality
  9. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

I know birdman is working on it. He is having some problems with sms in/out, but I know it's progressing nicely. Could be something to be on the lookout for :)
  10. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

If you can hold off, I say wait. Don't waste the upgrade at this juncture.

Truly, while there are great phones out there, with LTE coming, dual core, etc. Wait until spring of next year to drop the one you have and make that upgrade really work for you hardware wise.

To change up, while other roms may not be as stable as ours :) you could try out a few just to make things interesting for your current phone, and that is like getting a new one anyways!
  11. AuroEdge

AuroEdge New Member

Right you are Ken (MXC)! The AOSP project he's contributing to looks great. Can't wait till it's out of alpha

[ROM] ALPHA - AOSP for Samsung Fascinate by jt1134 - xda-developers
  12. Dash1b

Dash1b New Member

Agree 100%... I was happy for Motorola when they rocked the mobile world with the D1 and have been reaping the enjoyment of root access on it. That said, I'm sad to see that they've chosen to appease big V and other carriers and lock future devices.

I'm holding my upgrade for one of the other manufacturers with rootable hardware.
  13. kevev99

kevev99 New Member

OK, so I want to play around with another phone besides my OG Droid. Obviously I want to root and install a cvpcs ROM on it. I'm not due for an upgrade until next December, so I'm looking to buy a phone off of eBay. Two questions:

1) What phone should I go with?
    2) I bought my OG Droid from Best Buy and not through Verizon, extended out for 2 more years, yadda yadda. If I were to put this "new" phone on my account as a replacement for my OG Droid using my current phone #, would I get dinged for the difference between regular price and the discounted price I paid for the OG Droid?

Thanks for the input.
  14. AuroEdge

AuroEdge New Member

1) This really depends on what you want. Is a 4.3" too big for ya? Brand name preference?
    2) I can't answer this. I will say my Motorola Droid broke and I took it into Verizon. They let me purchase a new phone at new customer price even though I was 10 months from upgrade.
  15. kevev99

kevev99 New Member

To be honest I have no "brand" preference. Frankly a Droid 2 is pointless since I have the OG Droid. No issue with a 4.3" screen. I don't need a physical keyboard. So I'm pretty open, although I had a bad experience with Samsung in the past (Glyde...puke).

I just don't want to get dinged with some charge on my bill for $300-$400 for the phone price difference. It's not like I'm dropping data service, just want to swap phones from time to time and play around.
  16. jason6g

jason6g New Member

1) What phone should I go with?

I vote droid X if anything

2) I bought my OG Droid from Best Buy and not through Verizon, extended out for 2 more years, yadda yadda. If I were to put this "new" phone on my account as a replacement for my OG Droid using my current phone #, would I get dinged for the difference between regular price and the discounted price I paid for the OG Droid?

They will not charge you anything. Once you purchase equipment its yours to use or deactivate and let sit on a shelf.

There are several people i know who get phones from various places and are basically "upgrading" on a monthly basis.
  17. pdroid

pdroid New Member

I bought my droid off ebay over a year ago when I was still in the middle of my contract. Your contract really commits you to their voice/data service, they don't care what equipment you use. If you bought a phone off ebay, you would just call them up and add it your account, no problem, no fees or anything like that. Just make sure the ESN is clean.

As to what to get, since you want to put a CC ROM on it, I guess an Inc or X is your best bet, those are the most stable I believe. Though to be honest I personally don't see much value added in grabbing one of those phones, but YMMV.
  18. kevev99

kevev99 New Member

Not sure what YMMV means. I was thinking incredible. Just looking for something more suped up than the good old droid to play with. I've been looking on ebay and craigslist. Trying to find the best price.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  19. pdroid

pdroid New Member

YMMV = your mileage may vary
  20. RacingManiac

RacingManiac New Member

I am waiting for dual-core phones to come on full steam to even contemplate changing my OG Droid. With Sapph 2.0.0 the phones seems to get another kick in speed...

Thing is even if the new Motorola may not be rootable, if the stock setup is fast enough I might not bother with rooting it. The Stock Droid when running 2.1 was noticeably slower...but rooting it really made a difference...

Right now though I am looking to buy a dual-core tablet....