Phone turns off automatically?

J. Dub

Reaction score
DroidGurl,

First off, thank you for suggestion.

I just checked and mine is set to off. I don't believe I've changed that since this last night so I'd have to assume it was.

The only other thing I have noticed that is odd, using task killer, I kill everything and within 30 min, I have things come back. Now that's not odd, but corporate calender comes on and I don't even have that setup/enabled... same thing with google voice... maybe something, maybe not, just not sure.

I'm so sick of the f-in corp calendar... :mad: I don't even use it. In fact I've never launched it. can't wait for root access so I can delete that off my phone entirely.

raven1911

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me for the first time tonight. Whole phone went blank for no reason and no buttons turned it back on. WTF? Anyone have any idea what causes this? I use my phone for my wake up alarm too and I cannot afford for it to do this in the middle of the night. BTW, my Droid is about 3 weeks old.

meh8036

Reaction score
Mine randomly shuts itself off and rebooted a few times a day... it has only turned itself off once during a call. Hopefully this is just a bug that will be addressed in the OTA that is hopefully coming soon... occasionally my phone just goes black and I have to removed the battery to bring back... but usually it just revolts itself

raven1911

Reaction score
Anyone know if this issue is supposed to be addressed in the next update? If not, I am contemplating taking my phone in for replacement. Its happened 3 times today alone and seems to be getting more frequent.

elowe65

Reaction score
Mine has done it twice since my last post. both times it happened right when ending a call. I pulled the phone away from my ear, the screen never came up to press end...

no update on phone yet, still waiting.

strange....

darreno1

Reaction score
Just to chime in here. I haven't had these issues luckily but I heard the task killer or advanced task killer as it's called was causing problems as well. There was a thread a while back and the people who removed it had no more weird problems with their phones.

IMO, the best way to troubleshoot weird issues like these is to remove ALL third party apps first, then do a factory reset if that doesn't work.

1stdroid

Reaction score
Take it back...

I had the issue where the phone just randomly powered down but, mine would also just come back up as if I had turned it on.

I took it back to the Verizon store and turned it in for a new one. My son and I have both had them since 11-06 and his has never done this. I've had the new phone with the same apps installed for about 3 weeks now and it has never powered down once.

It's a hardware issue and while some have had success with resets, removing apps, etc., it's such an intermittent (non repeatable) problem, they just think it's solved...for a while....

Just my $0.02. Take it back. Between the phone and plan, you have thousands invested. Don't stand for faulty equipment.

I love my droid. This is my 3rd one and it's perfect. The very first one had a defective ear speaker from day 1. I took that one back immediately and got the one that power cycled itself.

Again, the new one, weeks now, is perfect. Love it.

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I had the issue where the phone just randomly powered down but, mine would also just come back up as if I had turned it on.

I took it back to the Verizon store and turned it in for a new one. My son and I have both had them since 11-06 and his has never done this. I've had the new phone with the same apps installed for about 3 weeks now and it has never powered down once.

It's a hardware issue and while some have had success with resets, removing apps, etc., it's such an intermittent (non repeatable) problem, they just think it's solved...for a while....

Just my $0.02. Take it back. Between the phone and plan, you have thousands invested. Don't stand for faulty equipment.

I love my droid. This is my 3rd one and it's perfect. The very first one had a defective ear speaker from day 1. I took that one back immediately and got the one that power cycled itself.

Again, the new one, weeks now, is perfect. Love it.

I will probably take my phone back in for an exchange. I got it from Best Buy so I assume that that is where I will be taking it back? I am within my 30 day window AND have the additional insurance from Best Buy.

My question is what happens to all the paid apps that I have on my current device? Should I uninstall them and do a factory reset before exchanging the phone? And, will I simply have to download them again without needing to pay a second time?

thanks!

Reaction score
Locking up and powering down

I have only had my Droid for 3 days and it is making me crazy with the locking up or powering down. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to why it does this but when it locks up I always have to take the battery out. This has happened at least 10 times in three days! I think I will be taking mine back for an exchange as well.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like what was happening to the Motorola [QA30] Hint. Motorola released a software update to fix the problem with the hint rebooting itself. Also there to much space between between the battery cover & the battery, so just placing it down would shut it off also & you would have to pull the battery out & put it back in. To solve that we put a piece of folded paper between the batt & cover to prevent movement. In all, with that phone it was to separate issues that caused the phone to power down/reboot.

Sounds like a Motorola thing.

Last edited:

trayanh

Reaction score
I got the same issue for 3 times now. The first time it happened when there was at least more than 50% power and I was one a phone. It happened the third time just now. I suspect it is a physical issue. The phone was getting hot since I was using the internet so intensively this morning to surf websites, and the battery is low, below 15%, but I already plugged in the power cord. This could be some kind of heat protection. Basically, it is design fault. I didn't feel it is hot enough for the phone to shut down. I pressed the power button for quite a while, it didn't work. Guess I need to pull out the battery first.