1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Phone Totally Stopped Reading update.zip Packages :(

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by natediddy1120, Mar 7, 2010.

1. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

This just started today. It first did it when I tried to install the 24k theme update.zip file. I was using koush's ClockworkMod recovery to install the update.zip. Then just now I had flashed SPRecovery back onto my phone, and flashed Simply Stunning 2.0.1, and when I tried to install Chevy's update.zip kernel+wifi module package, it did the same thing. No matter what I do, it will not read update.zips
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

What is "the same thing"? Is there an error? (what is it?) Are you sure it's running SPRecovery?

What results were you expecting when you install that update.zip, and what results did you get? (the change should be almost completely un-noticeable, except that you can see the kernel version in Settings | About Phone | Kernel version
  3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

No the phone starts to read the package, and gets the same error every time on SPRecovery and ClockworkMod recovery...

This is the error:

Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
    (bad)
    Installation aborted

And thats it, every time
  4. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

Sounds like it's double .zip'd (update.zip.zip)
  5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Is your SD card nearly full, perhaps? If there's not enough room to extract it, it might fail out in a strange way...

If not that, maybe the Zip really is invalid. Have you done an md5 check to compare it to where you got it from?
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I've tried 2 different update.zip files....one was the 24k theme....and the other was one of Chevy's 5 slot kernels...on BOTH recoveries?

And my sdcard is nowhere near being full...I just had to format the sob the other day
  7. kian123

kian123 New Member

Did you find the solution?
    I have a samsung moment and droid moto I have used diffrerent sdcards I have done different file names and also named update.zip still can not read any files on any of these phones...they are updated rom 2.1
    BTW-I have used different computers, xp,vista, different phones and sdcards...still no luck!

if anyone has the solution please let me know....Thanks,
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

For the Motorola Droid:

Are you running SP Recovery or Clockwork Recovery? If you aren't running either, you need to install one of those first before you will be able to apply any update.zip file except for the official motorola/verizon ones. This will involve rooting your phone.

You mention that "they are updated rom 2.1". Are you sure about that? If you've accepted all the over-the-air updates, you should be running 2.2, now. Check the version in Settings | About Phone

EDIT: It's generally not a good idea to reply to a months-old thread with a new problem, unless you're 100% positive it's the same thing and a very rare problem. The technology changes so fast that even a month later, everything that was written is no longer true. Usually better off to start a new thread.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  9. kian123

kian123 New Member

Se7enLC Thanks,

I got the phones used and I am using the SP recovery I Installed it using RSD lite 4.6 on the moto droid and its was updated to 2.1 before I got it
    used, and it has no service on it currently...all it allows me to do is make emergency calls and I can not see the applications. they told me I need to activate it in order to see apps.........I am trying to avoid that right now
    is there a way this could be by passed so I could get to the apps?

If it could read the sdcard could I load a custom rom and bypass the acitvation? to get to the apps?

Thanks again!
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

No, loading a new custom rom will not bypass the activation - in fact, most will require that you re-activate a phone even if it was previously activated.

Here's a way you can bypass the activation, screen though:

Tip: How to Bypass Android Activation Screen on Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Obviously, you won't be able to make phone calls or use cell data unless you activate it.
  11. kian123

kian123 New Member

I appriciate that ...that issue with the applications is resolved nice and easy :)
    I still have to tackel the SDCard reading issues...
    what could it be that it can not read the cards?

I have used different cards,phones I have (two moto's droids) I have different computers , I have formated the cards also...again used original name of the roms download (perticilarly smoked glass)and name them update and update.zip ....nothing yet

Any other advise?

Thanks,
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Are you *certain* that you have exactly the same error as was posted in this thread?

With SP Recovery, you have to select "Allow update.zip installation" before picking "Install update.zip (deprecated)". Could that possibly be it?

If you can't get SPRecovery to work, try downloading ROM Manager from the market and using it to install Clockwork Recovery. With clockwork, you can pick the rom to install without having to move or rename it. Putting the rom in the wrong folder or naming it the wrong thing is probably the #1 problem with being unable to install an update with SPRecovery, so clockwork eliminates that problem by allowing you to select your rom from a list.
  13. kian123

kian123 New Member

I am not sure if the this is the same problem.....sorry If I was not supposted to post here.....I am not sure if I have persmission to start new threads since I am new here...

Yes, when in revovery mode I do select allow for update.zip before having the phone istall from sdcard.

since I got the apps working now ,,,thank again! maybe I can try with rom manager ...........
    is there a thread that has instructions using rom manager for installing custom rom?

Thanks again!
    Great site and very responsive.
Search tags for this page
can't install cm zip files (bad)
can't open /sdcard/pc36img.zip (bad)

can't open sdcard update.zip

cannot read e sdcard update zip bad
clockworkmod can't open zip bad
e can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)
e: can't open /sdcard/***************************. zip (bad)
opening update package can't open installation aborted