Phone Storage Question ... SD and SD - Ext

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So last night I did a Factory Data Reset on my phone. I wiped everything, including the SD Card. Had everything from the SD Card backed up to my laptop before I did it.

Wiped Data and Cache from recovery, then did the FDR from within the phone.

Now that I have all my apps installed and everything is running fine, I noticed that when I hook the phone to my laptop via the USB cable, in "USB Mass Storage" mode, it shows 2 drives in the Control Panel of my laptop. One says "MOT (F)" and the other is "MOT (G)" ... MOT (F) shows 8.00 GB of space and MOT (G) shows 14.6 GB of space.

If I put the phone in MTP (Media Device) it shows it in my Control Panel as "Droid Razr" ... If I click on that, it has "Internal Storage" and "SD Card" The Internal Storage has 8.00 GB of space, and the SD Card shows 14.6 GB of space.

I know the storage setup is different on the Maxx, I know it has storage for "Apps" and "Internal Storage" and the "SD Card" itself.

Now here is where I'm confused: MOT (F) with 8 GB, shows what should be on the SD Card. MOT (G) with 14.6 GB has only a couple folders and files in it. (Data, DCIM, and Lost.dir folders)

If I switch to MTP Mode, and click on the Droid Razr, the "Internal Storage" with 8 GB shows what should be on the SD Card, and the "SD Card" with 14.6 GB shows the same couple folder and files in it.

Now here's where it gets even more confusing: I am rooted, I have Titanium Backup, and the path for the TB backup folder is /mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup but the actual directory is in the "Internal Storage".

Other apps that back up things or have folders say they back up to the SD Card, but they show in the "Internal Storage"

If I open "Root Explorer" I can open the SD Card and the Titanium Backup folder and other app folders are listed in it. It shows it as 8 GB.

If I open SD Card - EXT in Root Explorer, it shows the Data, DCIM, and Lost.dir folders, and shows it as 14.6 GB

Can someone please explain this in Engrish? :icon_eek: I thought the internal storage on the Maxx was 16 GB and the SD Card was 16 GB ... but it seems to be showing backwards. Bassackwards.

Anyone? :blink:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I can tell you that 16 GB is correct on Internal but they reserve 8 GB of that so you never see it as available.

It is a little confusing when they start talking about SD Card because some mean internal and some mean external. Most of your APPS and stuff are going to be actually going into the internal storage when they say SD card because if you have your SD card removed they can still function as normal.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What I don't get is why they are listed "backwards" LOL :icon_eek:

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I should have put the word "battery" in the thread title ... FoxKat would have been here long ago LMAO :icon_ poke: