Phone started rebooting and I can't stop it

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hrm... so I noticed that right before it does this the power menu comes up as if I had depressed the power button to shut it off. I don't press any of the buttons though but it still reboots. When it goes to reboot it gets to the Samsung logo and then either stays off or reboot loops. It just happened again. It also finally went on again and is now working normally. Perhaps this refurb they gave me has a bad power switch?
In that case you might have crud messing the power button up. Try some canned air or low pressure compressed air and blow around the button while it's pressed in. My old Inc would get lint under the power button and track ball, causing issues. Blowing it out solved it every time.
I'm still thinking, because it being a second phone with the same issues, that it's the battery possibly charger.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

bbtkd

Reaction score
Sure sounds like it could be a bad switch. Since you'll need to unroot and FDR it anyway before returning it, might as well go ahead and do that to confirm it still has the problem when stock.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I have noticed on an S3 that if the battery is brushed at all..aka won't lay flat on counter, this modifies the carriage alignment and depressed the power button. I would get a new stock battery and see if it solves the issues. Sounds to me like you are what I call a power charger. Phone is always plugged in if it can be. See if that solves the issue! ;)

Last edited:

killerz298

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4 SPH-L720
So things were going well for awhile and then the reboot loops started up again. I did some digging and read that apparently Samsung phones are notorious for sticking power buttons and the symptoms were exactly what I was experiencing. I watched some videos online how to open the phone and clean out the power button but it didn't make a difference. I then read that squeezing the connector for the power button with a pair of pliers sometimes does the trick. Not for me. So finally since I'm not under warranty, have no insurance, and the phone wasn't working anyway, I just ripped the white plastic part of the power button right off. Well, that seemed to do the trick. Phone immediately fired back up without issue and has been going strong. I glued a small thin piece of plastic where the old one used to be and I am back in action. If my little plastic piece solution eventually fails or breaks off I will consider soldering on a new button but so far so good.

If you have tried everything else, and are looking for last resort, try cleaning the power button with some alcohol, and if that fails, rip off that power button! Here is the video that gave me the idea: and here are some other power button videos: s4 power button - YouTube

OP
Randy72560

Randy72560

Reaction score
Since I had this issue and figured out why it was happening (Auto pic uploads/Auto syncing, etc) - 99% of the people I've seen that had the rebooting issues, deleting the pics fixed it.

If not then either way the power button fix is cool - Thanks!