Phone So Slowwwwwww

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by Pelican, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Pelican

Pelican New Member

My Droid Razr Maxx is about 2 years old and lately has become almost unusable. It's extremely sluggish and frequently locks up for what seems forever. It's gotten to the point that it won't respond to me answering calls before it goes to voice mail. I've tried the hard reset by holding the On button and - button at the same time but it doesn't help. Is there a way to tell what's causing this? I don't recall any particular app addition when it started. The thing was awesome when it was new.
  2. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Moved to Razr Maxx forum
  3. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

have you tried / considered a Factory Data Reset (FDR)? Many times that will help slow down & lag issues since it restores the phone back to factory settings, like the first day you bought it. Keep in mind, if you do a FDR, it will remove all apps that you installed from the Play Store and remove all personal files & settings. So before doing it, you should back up all important files, music, pictures, etc. somewhere other than the phone's internal storage. After a FDR, I usually just install the bare minimum apps that I need and see how things go for a few days. If the phone is running smooth again I start to add other apps a few at a time. I usually realize that I had a bunch of apps that I never really used and don't re-install them. A FDR can be a real pain sometimes, but once you get used to it, it can be a way to breath new life into an older phone and might make it smooth again.

Another option (I did this for my wife a few months ago when her RAZR M bogged down) is to uninstall every app that you have downloaded from the Play Store, clear the system cache & reboot the phone a few times in a row. Then, the same concept as after a FDR: just install the minimum apps that you really need & see how the phone runs. Then, install other apps & monitor the phone. This is still time consuming, but not as intrusive as a FDR.

Just some ideas that have helped me keep all of our phones running smooth.