Phone So Slowwwwwww

Pelican

Reaction score
My Droid Razr Maxx is about 2 years old and lately has become almost unusable. It's extremely sluggish and frequently locks up for what seems forever. It's gotten to the point that it won't respond to me answering calls before it goes to voice mail. I've tried the hard reset by holding the On button and - button at the same time but it doesn't help. Is there a way to tell what's causing this? I don't recall any particular app addition when it started. The thing was awesome when it was new.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
have you tried / considered a Factory Data Reset (FDR)? Many times that will help slow down & lag issues since it restores the phone back to factory settings, like the first day you bought it. Keep in mind, if you do a FDR, it will remove all apps that you installed from the Play Store and remove all personal files & settings. So before doing it, you should back up all important files, music, pictures, etc. somewhere other than the phone's internal storage. After a FDR, I usually just install the bare minimum apps that I need and see how things go for a few days. If the phone is running smooth again I start to add other apps a few at a time. I usually realize that I had a bunch of apps that I never really used and don't re-install them. A FDR can be a real pain sometimes, but once you get used to it, it can be a way to breath new life into an older phone and might make it smooth again.

Another option (I did this for my wife a few months ago when her RAZR M bogged down) is to uninstall every app that you have downloaded from the Play Store, clear the system cache & reboot the phone a few times in a row. Then, the same concept as after a FDR: just install the minimum apps that you really need & see how the phone runs. Then, install other apps & monitor the phone. This is still time consuming, but not as intrusive as a FDR.

Just some ideas that have helped me keep all of our phones running smooth.

ReverendOD

Reaction score
I have the same issue and my problems started with the 4.1.2 update. I have done multiple FDR's cache clears, ect... I just did another FDR last night and immediately apps were force closing.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I would take @sajokaz second recommendation, remove the apps clear cache reboot and see if that helps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And if that ^ doesn't work then do the FDR. An FDR is equivalent to reinstalling windows on your desktop PC. Remember how fast you thought it was and how slow and flaky it is now? Do a fresh reinstall of windows and you'll get that same lightning fast response from your PC again too.

Rogus

Reaction score
Or, if you're just plain tired of it happening over and over, do what I did. Get rid of the slower than molasses RAZR Maxx and get a Droid Turbo.

sandiegosteve

Reaction score
My MAXX gets rebooted daily and FDR about every 2 months. I think my issues is that something is loose inside (like antenna connection). Too many drops, or off contract? It really got bad when my contract ran out. I've got it down to minimal apps, but it is still dog slow, particularly when it needs to do something with the 4g/3g antenna. It doesn't pick up wifi as well now either.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This may be an all too obvious question, but is the phone beyond not just the one year manufacturer's warranty, but possibly still within the 90 day return policy for a certified like-new that you might have gotten in the past? The reason I ask this is because often times my phones start giving me problems as they approach the one year anniversary, and what I've done has gotten them replaced by certified like new phones, and even if they run into problems as long as they do before the 90 days is up I get another one for free. Your results may vary.