phone signal is poor on vzw network

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Hello all

Anyone experiencing poor phone signal strength? I came from a that thunderbolt where the signal was always good and also another non smart phone I have the signal is good. I called vzw and they told me that Samsung is aware of the issue and there should be a software fix in a few weeks . I typically will have from 0 to 2 bars. Any insight would be appreciated.

FYI I AM NOT ROOTED AND DON'T WANNA BE

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
CBMGGM said:
Start with VZW tech support. Check if your area is having network problems.
Already did read my post they offered to replace my phone but said the new phone I get could be will worse

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How would they know if it were going to perform worse or not?

Samsung is known for having poor radios. You can certainly try a CLNR and maybe it might have a better radio for some reason, but usually there is no way around it, especially if you live in a weak signal area.

Check to see if you're on 4.0.2 or 4.0.4. You should be on the 4.0.4 by now, but if not, the update will help a bit.

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
dezymond said:

Samsung is known for having poor radios. You can certainly try a CLNR and maybe it might have a better radio for some reason, but usually there is no way around it, especially if you live in a weak signal area.

Check to see if you're on 4.0.2 or 4.0.4. You should be on the 4.0.4 by now, but if not, the update will help a bit.

I'm on .4.0.4 it just sucks ya know . What's crln?? But if it has to do with rooting thanks but no t thanks

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
dezymond said:

Vzw said they knew of the issue and other customers said that they were loosing data connectivity and dropped calls which I haven't had as of yet ....but again my signal is very poor if any bars at all

en28so

Reaction score
Yup, I keep losing data. I have to reboot mine to get it back. I am almost certain that I am returning mine. It's brand new too. It does it stock and with a custom rom too.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm on .4.0.4 it just sucks ya know . What's crln?? But if it has to do with rooting thanks but no t thanks

CLNR means Certified Like New Replacement, a refurbished phone. You get these when you ask for a replacement.

Vzw said they knew of the issue and other customers said that they were loosing data connectivity and dropped calls which I haven't had as of yet ....but again my signal is very poor if any bars at all

Verizon knew of the issue and that was their answer to it, 4.0.4. Well ok, it was already planned for through Google, but Verizon says it fixes the issue so that's good enough for them. They say it fixes signal issues (which it does, 4.0.2 was much worse if you can imagine), but you can only do so much software upgrading to maximize the hardware. Unfortunately the radios that Samsung uses for the Nexus are quite weak. Why they went with such a weak radio unit, not sure why, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

HRod08

Reaction score
Not sure where I read this but I turned the phone off, pulled battery, pulled sim. Then waited a minute to reinsert sim, battery and reboot phone.

Might all just be in my head but my reception has improved and I haven't had any data drops.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not sure where I read this but I turned the phone off, pulled battery, pulled sim. Then waited a minute to reinsert sim, battery and reboot phone.

Might all just be in my head but my reception has improved and I haven't had any data drops.
I did this once, in fact, I've given this advice many times the past couple months. One day I was having trouble with holding a signal, so I did the steps you just mentioned and haven't had an issue since.

Give it a try OP. It may or may not help, so don't get your hopes up too high :p

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Jelly bean addresses poor signal quality on nexus if you can wait. Or, if you have unlocked bootloader you can flash jb radios and have great signal on ics. My signal improved dramatically, now just hope the same will happen on my maxx.

Universal

Reaction score
Jelly bean addresses poor signal quality on nexus if you can wait. Or, if you have unlocked bootloader you can flash jb radios and have great signal on ics. My signal improved dramatically, now just hope the same will happen on my maxx.

+1. I flashed the newest radio yesterday and my signal has improved dramatically. Immediately went to a full bar 4G connection in my house, something I'd never experienced previously.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
My phone works great. OP, I think you have these following options:

1. Take your phone completely apart, wait a minute, then put it back together again. Not sure how or why this would work at all, but some people claim it helped.

2. Remain stock and wait for Jellybean OTA update. Until then, deal with poor signal quality.

3. Root the friggin thing, then flash new JB radios (by the way, this works absolutely perfect for me). However, since you completely refuse to root, I guess this isn't an option for you (your loss lol). Not sure why you (or anyone for the matter) would not want to root this phone.

4. Have Verizon install a tower on the roof of your house or workplace.

5. Get a new phone.

Any one of these should help alleviate your issue with signal quality. Good luck.

Capone76

Reaction score
I wonder if those with bad radios, phone was made in china. My friend has a clnr made in china. I've had 2 units now both from Korea. I live 4 miles from a 4g tower and have always got 2 or 3 bars in my house. But his signal is usually worse. I'm just speculating but could be they used bunk radios in china units.