Phone shutting off prematurely

k1601

Reaction score
The battery on my fiances turbo 2 has been acting up. For a few weeks now it has been dying at 15-20%, with moderate usage. Today she made a couple phone calls, and other wise it was on her pocket. At 5 pm it shut off, with approximately half the battery left. I'm assuming bad battery? Anyone experience this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
Here are battery charts. When the phone apparent shut off is when it died, and wouldn't restart. When she plugged it back in it recorded 50%
7590b7c396b6341470dd58b2ecf3333b.jpg
76eaa27a207a70802182624d4716a616.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There have been some similar posts like this on the Turbo 2 Moto Forum. Luckily for me, my old Turbo 2 is still running strong for my daughter. I would recommend to try this, before going to bed / sleeping one day or evening:

1.) Clear the cache partition. No user data will be lost, just temp files. Instructions are here ~

Clear the Cache Partition - Droid Turbo 2

2.) Reset the Battery Calibration. To do that hold the power button down until the phone begins to reboot (may take up to 30 seconds) and then release. Let the phone fully reboot and then plug into the original charger that came with it and don't use it. Let it charge while you sleep and a full 30 minutes past the 100% charge mark.

Then use it as normal and see how it goes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
There have been some similar posts like this on the Turbo 2 Moto Forum. Luckily for me, my old Turbo 2 is still running strong for my daughter. I would recommend to try this, before going to bed / sleeping one day or evening:

1.) Clear the cache partition. No user data will be lost, just temp files. Instructions are here ~

2.) Reset the Battery Calibration. To do that hold the power button down until the phone begins to reboot (may take up to 30 seconds) and then release. Let the phone fully reboot and then plug into the original charger that came with it and don't use it. Let it charge while you sleep and a full 30 minutes past the 100% charge mark.

We'll try that thanks. My turbo 2 is also doing fairly well, although its a little choppy. We went ahead and ordered a g5s plus, but it would be nice to add the turbo 2 to the back up stash rather then the trash stash. I'll try to recalibrate the battery then run it hard for a day and see what happens. Will report back.

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score

Also, does it need to be original? That one stopped working so replaced it with a Motorola charger from Amazon.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Also, does it need to be original? That one stopped working so replaced it with a Motorola charger from Amazon.

That should be fine, as long as it's not a cheap knock-off charger.

Wadman

Reaction score
Mine gets to 20% and then shuts down. If I wait about a minute I can turn it back on without plugging it in but it never makes it to 15%. It always dies. There have been a few times it will be at 40% and it dies. I tried to do everything I could to re calibrate it and nothing would work. I finally decided it was time to retire the turbo and buy a z2 play. I love the new phone but miss the reassurance I had with my T2.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Mine gets to 20% and then shuts down. If I wait about a minute I can turn it back on without plugging it in but it never makes it to 15%. It always dies. There have been a few times it will be at 40% and it dies. I tried to do everything I could to re calibrate it and nothing would work. I finally decided it was time to retire the turbo and buy a z2 play. I love the new phone but miss the reassurance I had with my T2.

sounds almost like a heat problem - was the phone/battery getting hot?

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
sounds almost like a heat problem - was the phone/battery getting hot?
Not noticeabley no. We set her up on my turbo 1 until her new g5s plus came. And like a pretty dang solid phone for the price