Phone sensor problem

Axel Foley

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any guidance about this problem I'm having. When I'm in the middle of a phone call and want to pull down the notification tab from the top left of the screen, which has the green phone icon there, the screen automatically goes black before my finger can even touch it.

This means that if I open an application and want to go back to the call screen, I can't; it also means that if I get, say, a text message during my call and want to read it, I can't retrieve it through the notification bar.

Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like something is messed up with a sensor, but I can't figure out anything beyond that.

OP
A

Axel Foley

Reaction score
No hits on this one, huh? I'm wondering if the answer to this question is too obvious to respond to...if so, I'd love it if someone could enlighten me anyway. It's a pretty annoying problem.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the screen went black on you, what occurs if you hit the unlock button or your volume rocker in that situation?

OP
A

Axel Foley

Reaction score
If I hit the volume control in that situation, it controls the in-call volume as usual. If I hit the unlock button, it brings me back to whatever the last screen was.

I've actually found that if I drag my finger down the top RIGHT hand side of the screen in the middle of a call, the phone works works correctly, letting me manage the call. But if I try the top left--which is where the notification for the call actually is, and where I touch the screen in every other situation--the screen goes blank. Odd.

On Droids

Reaction score
During a call placing your hand on the left side is covering up the proximity sensor which is why it only does this during the 'in call' mode. It's the same sensor that blacks the screen out when the phone is held to your face.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does sound odd, will have to try with someone here, hopefully may repost later, gotta move heli's to where they will ride out tomorrows snowstorm ...

OP
A

Axel Foley

Reaction score
During a call placing your hand on the left side is covering up the proximity sensor which is why it only does this during the 'in call' mode. It's the same sensor that blacks the screen out when the phone is held to your face.

Ok. So...is this supposed to happen? It doesn't seem like it is. If not, do you think there's a way to prevent it? It's not a huge deal, but it is kind of counterintuitive to pull down the right side of the screen, since I never do that in any other situation.

On Droids

Reaction score
The proximity sensor is doing its job correctly. If it did not function this way you would hit buttons on the screen when you held to phone up to your face possibly ending the call or make the other party hear sounds from the number keys you had hit with your cheek. I guess the developers didn't think that checking messages and other notifications during a phone call was high on the end users priority list.

OP
A

Axel Foley

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the information. At least I know what's going on now.

On Droids

Reaction score
No problem...look at that left top portion of your phone in full sun daylight and you can see two sensors in that corner of the phone. The other sensor is the ambient light sensor for the auto dimming function of the phone lighting.