Phone says 'Low on Space' and won't sync gmail, but it's not low of space...

addovox

Reaction score
I also began having this issue with my Droid Incredible soon after i upgraded to 2.3.4. The Verizon store employee could not figure it out (even after we deleted much of the 'data', including the large call history log), so he recommended i "wipe" the whole phone. I was apprehensive to do this, but actually, the process was VERY simple, and my phone came back very fast, downloading all of my address book, re-syncing with my Gmail accounts, and recognizing most of the apps i had installed (although i had to re-download and re-install most of them, some of them retained the settings).
HOWEVER....soon after, my Incredible started doing the SAME THING again! It is still doing it to this day, 2 months later! My Gmail will not synch, and the annoying message "Low on Space - Phone storage space is getting low" is still there!
Just wanted to let everyone know that i have tried wiping and it only worked for a little while (few days maybe??).

Also, i just went into the Verizon store to tell them about it again and the lady who helped me had just come from the tech support department--she said this is a known issue with 2.3.4 and they are working on a fix. No known time when it will be available.

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
Is that going to be the solution for the rest of us from Verizon?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

addovox

Reaction score
I guess so. I was able to temporarily solve the problem by deleting any SMS convos that had a lot of messages (say, over 40), ESPECIALLY those that have images, videos, etc attached. This fixed the problem...but only temporarily. It is now back, and i do not have any of these large SMS convos. Hmm.

tedum3

Reaction score
Ok i think i got it!!! Gmail will sync and low disk space gone!!!

so i again saw this issue creep up on my phone. it's an issue with a lot of people. i've researched this and found one of the big culprits is facebook contacts. so settings>applications>manage applications>facebook>clear data exit back to your home screen and bam!!! low disk space gone gmail syncs. i also did this with the facebook for htc and same thing, my contacts still have the fb contacts linked. i hope this helps a lot of people, and possibly if you see the low disk space again this will work. please post if this works or not!

addovox

Reaction score
Worked! Thanks! Hopefully it remains "fixed"...when i cleared my large SMS convos it was also "fixed", but that was only temporarily. Fingers crossed...

tedum3

Reaction score
for sure, i'll definitely keep up on this, hopefully this does work, it's sad a tech noob figured it out before any "expert"

addovox

Reaction score
Yeah, well, i have tried that before (before the total wipe about 2 months ago). I deleted the data from every program on my phone that was possible, still didn't work. The Verizon tech guy also tried that to no avail. He said the dialer history was usually a cause.
But, removing the FB data seemed to have done the trick this time though! I don't use FB on my phone that much and i noticed that when i logged in, it looked a lot different--it must have been updated since the last time i logged in and/or cleared the data, so it might be an issue with the latest version?? I'll let you know if it comes back.

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
Worked for me as well, I also noticed I had not moved a few apps to the SD card so with the fb cleared and the apps moved over low space cleared itself. We will see for how long.

LGB

Reaction score
After trying multiple fixes mentioned on this thread, clearing data from Facebook app seems to have the done the trick. I had been receiving low storage messages and both gmail and twitter had stopped synching. I tried the URL dl3.htc.com/misc/inc8049.apk but could not access. Hoping things are resolved now. Thanks for all the posts on this topic. Recent problems with my Incredible have been truly annoying. It's only a year old (I know--ancient by smartphone/cell phone standards)--not interested in dealing with Verizon about it.

so i again saw this issue creep up on my phone. it's an issue with a lot of people. i've researched this and found one of the big culprits is facebook contacts. so settings>applications>manage applications>facebook>clear data exit back to your home screen and bam!!! low disk space gone gmail syncs. i also did this with the facebook for htc and same thing, my contacts still have the fb contacts linked. i hope this helps a lot of people, and possibly if you see the low disk space again this will work. please post if this works or not!

rajesh06

Reaction score
I've tried all the solutions - they all work on a temporary basis. Now nothing works.

Lesson to posters: don't assume your solution is a permanent fix.

thebalt

Reaction score
Low on Space

After fighting this for a week - and reading all of the mssgs in this thread - seems pretty obvious to me it is a problem with 2.3.4 and especially, with the DINC. Removing any major memory items seems to temporarily bring this below this system "threshold" and the space used/free information (both the SD and phone) do not seem to be very relevant. For me deleting about 1000 old text messages was the most successful...until they come up with a 2.3.4 fix!

tedum3

Reaction score

Last edited:

staceybassoon

Reaction score
This is terrible. I can't think of anything else to delete or clear and this message won't go away!

KeepItReal

Reaction score
You can use SMS Backup and Restore to back up your text messages (does not do pictures or video) to your SD card - the app allows you to view them there so you could then delete all your text messages and begin fresh. Also, make sure if you are using gmail, things don't delete until you log onto your PC Gmail. I helped someone who had over 1700 emails in their trash folder. Check Yahoo, which may do the same. A lot of pictures will also take space. Each picture listed in your gallery is a thumbnail which loads into memory when browsing the gallery. Also, the Incredible was the only Android where pictures did not automatically save onto the SD card, unless you change that option in the camera app. Make sure that is changed and download Astro file manager to move pictures to your SD card. Make sure your contacts are backed up (open contacts, select Menu» Import/Export to export to SD card).Then factory reset phone to clear up weird memory leaks or hanger-ons.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums