Phone Rooted! What apps......?

Savagehearts

Reaction score
Just did it. Finally I don't have to see stupid blockbuster and kindle apps mwuhahaha

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
That sounds so damn tempting. I'm in south Africa, and I doubt we're getting upgraded past 2.1 which is what I'm running now. I'd love to root it so I can upgrade to 2.3 or get one of those awesome roms I keep hearing about. But I hear rooting can brick your phone? If I try root this brand new damn expensive phone, I'm screwed. Advice?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using DroidForums App

Yes, I was worried about bricking it too, but z4 does everything for you. If you were to try and do it the way I had researched before I found out about z4 it would have required you to go threw and enter in codes and commands to get your phone to root, and if you messed any of it up your phone could get Bricked.

I believe that with z4 as long as it is known to work for your phones model theres no way it can brick it. What model do you have?

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Just did it. Finally I don't have to see stupid blockbuster and kindle apps mwuhahaha

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Congrats! I tinkered with all the screen shot apps overnight, they are all a pain. Drocap was nice, I could pin a shortcut key to take screenshots on my Notification bar, but I kept getting a little pop-up at the bottom saying I have superuser access, it got annoying so I un-installed it. PicMe is absolutely retarded, you have to have your phone plugged in to your PC and go to a web address just to see your phones screen. Screenshot It was probably my best option, but I used the free trial, 5 free screen shots. It could be worth purchasing for $3.99 and then finally theres ShootMe. I hate the idea of having to shake my phone to take a screenshot, it should be able to run off the camera button, but it doesn't, so I never know if it's taking pics of my pocket or whatever. AND the Screencast (video) option on it sucks, 10 FPS (frames per second) isn't as good as it sounds, lol. And you have to shake to start, and shake to stop, and theres no noise indicators to let you know if it stopped. Then you find out that the video can't even playback when your all done!

My next venture is to get some new Themes for my phone, and an app to un-install these stock apps. But I hear you have to back them all up before you remove them, in case you need to return your phone.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Newbie here, just rooted my phone, used z4, now.....I only really rooted it to get a good Screenshot app working and to remove those unwanted apps that came with the phone that I NEVER use, so who has some recommendations?

ShootMe and PicMe are confusing as hell. I took a screenshot with ShootMe, found it in my files, but can't figure out what to do with it from there. I can't even find it on my computer with my cell plugged in.

Any other things I might like now that I'm rooted? Feel free to suggest them to me :D

P.S. I need FREE apps, cuz I'm poor, lol
If you want to play it safe then download Titanium backup. It lets you backup your apps as well as "freeze" apps. Freezing an app is basically removing the app, but with the option to add it back quite easily if need be. I freeze apps instead of totally removing them because sometimes if you remove something you think the phone doesn't need it can cause issues. Just my .02 worth. Also I use dropcap 2. Easy to use, and does a great job.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
ok, I will give Titanium a look, I just installed the Free Wifi Tethering :) Not that I'll ever use it, I just feel special having it. Kinda of like a big F-U to Verizon, thinking I'm going to pay that much for a Mobile Hotspot, pfffft, get real

jonalex

Reaction score
Hey man
I'm using a Samsung galaxy s..

If I use z 4 is backing up using mybackup okay? And is keeping the back up on my sd card okay? Or does rooting and flashing a Rom wipe the sd card clean as well as the phones internal memory?
Thanks for your help!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using DroidForums App

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Not sure, my phone did a backup earlier, I noticed the little backup icon going, rooting didn't wipe out anything, my phone is still the same as before.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

stevegun

Reaction score
oh my, isnt anyone gonna let them in on the functional apps, before the "fun" apps? First pay for Rom Manager Premium, then buy ***Titanium Backup***<----must have!!!, Set CPU, Super Manager (will replace root explorer, shoot me, astro, etc.) Have fun after you learn the ropes, but always remeber to do a backup before you change anything!

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Well unfortunately I don't pay for the phone, so I can't buy any apps, I gotta do everything for free. Im kind of at a stand still right now as to what else I can do that I wanted to do. I don't do any backups other than the one my phone does automatically, should I? All I've done was the z4 root, ADW Launcher and some themes, set my phone up with all icons I liked, and installed wifi tethering, nothing really risky yet

jchammer123

Reaction score
You need to do backups if you don't want to screw things up!!! You don't need to pay for any apps, just learn how to use your recovery and install a rom! Do some reading. Have you flashed a recovery image yet?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Nope, I haven't done any of that yet. Im a newbie, bug a fairly educated one, lol. I need to learns about roms and kernels and all stuff so I can really unlock this phone

jchammer123

Reaction score
I don't know how it works with the D2 but research roms for that phone on this site and you should find some nice options. Roms are basically replacing the operating system. Kernels are basically what governs the speed of your phone. Install a larger kernel, get more speed. You can find kernels on this site as well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Beka27

Reaction score
All you need to purchase apps is a credit card. It doesn't bill to the cell phone account. I would recommend purchasing the required apps to help protect the phone in case of a rom gone wrong (which can happen). These phones are too expensive to void your warranty and then cheap out because of $10 worth of apps.

(If the bill is not in your name b/c you are a minor, I hope you asked permission to root, since it is afterall not technically your phone.)

(from Beka's DX)

stevegun

Reaction score
All you need to purchase apps is a credit card. It doesn't bill to the cell phone account. I would recommend purchasing the required apps to help protect the phone in case of a rom gone wrong (which can happen). These phones are too expensive to void your warranty and then cheap out because of $10 worth of apps.

(If the bill is not in your name b/c you are a minor, I hope you asked permission to root, since it is afterall not technically your phone.)

(from Beka's DX)

Thank you Beka for agreeing! Seriously though you should have researched rooting a ton before you actually did it. There is no rush, and there is a whole community dedicated to educating you before you make a decision. Don't settle for one or the first answer you get, verify the information you are receiving is legit because you can screw yourself big-time if you mess something up. Moneys tight I can understand that, so don't go to Mcdonalds for a couple weeks or whatever and save up 10 or 20 bucks for these apps, you will thank me later trust me.