phone ring app

MJKneuro

Reaction score
Looking for an app that can assign different rings for different groups such as a specific ring for numbers not in contracts or a specific ring for a group in contracts. There is (was) an app for Palm called "m ring" that did this but can't find a similar app for android.

HowardZ

Reaction score
Maybe app "contacts Groupu(Free)" by MTM HZSTUDIO

well, maybe not that one.

"Go contacts EX" - you can assign a ringtone for each group, and I suppose if someone calls who is not in a group then the phone's default ringtone will be used?

Last edited:

robert70

Reaction score
HowardZ said:
Maybe app "contacts Groupu(Free)" by MTM HZSTUDIO

well, maybe not that one.

"Go contacts EX" - you can assign a ringtone for each group, and I suppose if someone calls who is not in a group then the phone's default ringtone will be used?

Bit then wont you have to have go launcher too?

acejavelin

Reaction score
GO Contacts EX is one of the few GO apps that does not require you to have GO Launcher.

I tried a handful of alternate dialer/contact managers... all of them seem to have conflicts with Sense in some shape or form, nothing major but enough of an annoyance to me that I always just went back to stock... unfortunately I don't remember the specific feature in any of the ones I tried but it wasn't really something I was looking for either, some of the ones I would recommend trying are:

GO Contacts EX
TouchPAL Contacts (Their Keyboard is amazing too BTW!)
DW Contacts & Phone & Dialer

All three were very good, and installing and removing them had no effect on the existing contacts.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Reaction score
Not sure how fancy these apps you're using are or anything but the phone already does this stock. In People you can assign rings to individuals or groups and other callers will default to your default ringtone set under sounds in the settings menu. Most SMS apps do the same. I know GoSMS has what it calls individual settings were it will change the entire behavior of the phone based on what you set up of individuals. i.e. personal sigs, rings, and notifications. Handcent did the same.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Not sure how fancy these apps you're using are or anything but the phone already does this stock. In People you can assign rings to individuals or groups and other callers will default to your default ringtone set under sounds in the settings menu. Most SMS apps do the same. I know GoSMS has what it calls individual settings were it will change the entire behavior of the phone based on what you set up of individuals. i.e. personal sigs, rings, and notifications. Handcent did the same.
How do you assign a ringtone to a group? I dug through the menus last night and this morning and can't seem to find it. Although with working 42 hours in 3 days already and a long week ahead of me yet, I am not quite the sharpest right now... :blink:

HowardZ

Reaction score
How do you assign a ringtone to a group? I dug through the menus last night and this morning and can't seem to find it. Although with working 42 hours in 3 days already and a long week ahead of me yet, I am not quite the sharpest right now... :blink:

Ok, if you see the dialpad, buttons 0...9, you need to press the lower left button to get out of the dialpad display.

Now you will see a row of buttons on the bottom. Press the button for groups. You will see all your groups.

Now click on a group and you will see a list of all the people in this group.

Next press the menu button and select manage. Your groups will be displayed along with a music note next to each group name.

Click on the music note to select a ringtone for that group.

If a menu shows up, select "android system" and select the ringtone. Now every contact in that group has this ringtone.

Assuming every contact in your phone is in a group, assigning a ringtone to each group will assure every known number has a ringtone. When an unknown caller calls you, then the phone's settings' default ringtone will be used.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
Next press the menu button and select manage. Your groups will be displayed along with a music note next to each group name.

Click on the music note to select a ringtone for that group.

If a menu shows up, select "android system" and select the ringtone. Now every contact in that group has this ringtone.

Assuming every contact in your phone is in a group, assigning a ringtone to each group will assure every known number has a ringtone. When an unknown caller calls you, then the phone's settings' default ringtone will be used.
Hmmm... weird... I don't get a Manage option, just "Add contact to group", "Edit Group", or "Delete Group", and none of those gives me the "music note" thing in the stock ROM, either 3.14.605.12 or 4.3.605.2

acejavelin

Reaction score
Ace,

Did you install "go contacts EX" ?
Once... a long time ago... I have Factory Reset and flashed RUUs a few times since then though.

Tried the "Manage" thing on my work phone too, made a new group, saved it and when back to the group, no manage option, and this phone has never been anything but stock and has less than 20 apps loaded, mostly work related.

Both phones show same options, whether its a created or "stock" group... See attached, no Manage option, and edit only lets me delete multiple contacts at once.

View attachment 56808

Last edited:

VidJunky

Reaction score
See Howard is trying to get you to install something again. After looking at it your right my info was bad. It's still possible just not setting a default tone for a group and add a person to the group and you're done. With groups that you've already made its super simple, from group view, just like in your pic, select the group, select the people individually and scroll to the bottom of their contact info (if they're just numbers and an email scrolling won't be necessary), and the findings option should appear with a drop down, and it should be pretty quick and easy to match the tone for those in that group. Then, obviously, it would have to be done for each group this way. I really only have two groups, one and a half, that I care what their ring is so for me is not that big a deal. Of course if you download an app you're going to have to go through some kind of setup process and settings and who knows. I'd guess this would still be faster and no worries that it won't work with anything installed on your phone, and nothing else to install to make it work.

HowardZ

Reaction score
Ace

You will not be able to set a group ringtone because it is a unique feature of go contacts EX, and for some strange reason you insist on trying to get this function without installing the app.

Maybe you need more sleep or more coffee?
You install the app, then look in your app drawer and run the app just like any other app.

Anyway you can comfortably live your life without this function if you so desire.

Regards
Howard

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
Ace

You will not be able to set a group ringtone because it is a unique feature of go contacts EX, and for some strange reason you insist on trying to get this function without installing the app.

Maybe you need more sleep or more coffee?
You install the app, then look in your app drawer and run the app just like any other app.

Anyway you can comfortably live your life without this function if you so desire.

Regards
Howard
LOL... No, I think we got to far off of the topic and OP's issue... I am NOT trying to do this and have no need for it, I was under the impression from your previous post that this could be done in the stock app and I didn't think it was and was trying to figure it out to help OP. Think we were just kinda chasing a ghost from a little miscommunication or misunderstanding.

VidJunky

Reaction score

Regards
Howard

No need to live without. I've explained how to do it stock everyone else thinks there are apps to do it, now it's up to the OP. What route will they take.