Phone randomly bricked after restore?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The D4 Utility ICS only doesn't recognize the phone (drivers installed, USB connected), Not sure if USB debugging is on though... probably not:icon_eek:
Can RSD be used as an alternative, or is there a workaround?

Hey there, I realized that the ICS only script would hang if your phone is stuck in the bootloader. I add some notes to my post about the tool on how to get around this.

If you are on ICS and somehow have gotten stuck in the bootloader read this: Menu 9 for the tool starts out rebooting the phone into the bootloader using adb. So the script will hang if the phone is already in the bootloader. It was written this way to made it super easy for everyone jumping. However it is easy to get around this if you are stuck in the bootloader mode. After downloading the tool do the following:

1. Right click on the script and select edit. Should open in notepad
2. Scroll down until you see the script for menu 9
3. Find the line that says "files\adb reboot-bootloader"
4. Delete the line and then save
5. Run the script and it will then flash without trouble.

Last edited:
OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
To make matters worse the little "key" to open the backplake.... broke. I've tried using other things like paperclips with no success... So I can't get to my SD Card.

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
Dammit... pens aren't working, even though they fit in there... I'll see if I can run to the local Verizon Store and mooch a Droid 4 key off of em... what a pain in the @$$:)

Last edited:
OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
1. Right click on the script and select edit. Should open in notepad
2. Scroll down until you see the script for menu 9
3. Find the line that says "files\adb reboot-bootloader"
4. Delete the line and then save
5. Run the script and it will then flash without trouble.

What do you mean "the script"?

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
-I boot into AP fastboot though the bootloader menu manually (its the only way).
-Connect to Computer via USB. The phone says that it's connected, however the computer sends no hints that it is.
-Hit 9 to go through the process in the Utility and stuck at "<waiting for device>

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Guess you hacked a usb cord? Anyhow if you did the edit of that line out it should flash just fine. It will take 10 seconds or so to start flashing. You will still get the message about press any key after the screen come back on, just hit any key. It will start then. I did the edit just to test it out and yes ran it again. Flashing 215 in stock recovery right now...almost done. See the attached shot to be sure you did the edit right. It's rebooting now! Battery only went down about 6%.

If it still doesn't see the phone then it's probably a driver issue.

Last edited:

Twisted4u

Reaction score
Yes it was. Now the battery is low in juice so gotta let her charge for a while.

how are you making out did you get it to charge and to reflash yet if not let me know where you are stuck and i will try to help i am pritty new to all this stuff but have been doing it with 3 or 4 devices for about 6 mounth and love doing it and am willing to help any where i can

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
I finally got the Utility to recognize my phone and boot into stock recovery (thanks to a phony driver issue... my 'puter was having a child :biggrin:). Unfortunately my battery was running too low (despite being plugged in all afternoon stuck on the bootlogo) to begin the process... so imma have to give my phone an overnight charging opportunity.
How can I charge the battery while having to deal with the screen being froze on?

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
Dammmmit... the battery won't frikkin charge!!! Screen will only turn on when plugged into a wall outlet. Whenever I connect it via USB the LED indicator lights up green (does that mean it's charging....? Highly doubt it).

-- Can the phone be charged in the AP Fastboot menu?

Last edited: