Phone randomly bricked after restore?

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
SO it went like this... I had cleared data on my unsafe system to flash the CM9 in safestrap, all went well. However, I realized I had forgotten to backup some data that I wanted from the MotoICS, and luckily I had a backup. So i toggled safe system off and restored the backup... only to find my phone bricked, no safestrap, nothin'. Just the Motorola Dual Core boot screen...

My guess is that I lost root on the non-safe system after that rewipe.... shiiiii-yep. :icon_evil:

Need some advice and help peeps... is there a fastboot I could use? .Nope.

BTW I had booted the MotoICS stock and found it reset fresh, THEN realized I needed to restore.

Last edited:

Twisted4u

Reaction score
SO it went like this... I had cleared data on my unsafe system to flash the CM9 in safestrap, all went well. However, I realized I had forgotten to backup some data that I wanted from the MotoICS, and luckily I had a backup. So i toggled safe system off and restored the backup... only to find my phone bricked, no safestrap, nothin'. Just the Motorola Dual Core boot screen...

Need some advice and help peeps... is there a fastboot I could use?

BTW I had booted the MotoICS stock and found it reset fresh, THEN realized I needed to restore.

I had pritty much the same thing happen to me the only thing i could do was to reflash the leak as if i was going from one leak to another. there may be another way but this is all i could get to work for me.

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
How do I reflash the leak with no safestrap? I can't get safestrap to pull up, otherwise all would be swell.... but that's the issue

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think he means you can use the method of jumping from one leak to another to get back to a working system. You have to flash a leaked ICS with stock recovery. So you can flash the GB system and preinstall files, then the boot.img for ICS and the same update for ICS. Should be good to go.

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
I'd been reading up on that in another thread.... NOICE!
But how do I get to stock recovery in my current totally blank'd out state?
Wait a tick.. You mean GB fastboot right?

Last edited:

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Use the D4 utility to flash GB219, flash the ICS kernel, then go into recovery and apply the ICS update. There are many threads about this but that's the gist of it. You'll be fine, don't worry.

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
When I use the D4 utility ICS only it gives me the "error, cannot find device" (maybe because USB debugging is disabled?). And yes, I'm in the AP Fastboot Flash Mode menu
Can I use the OG fastboot method (RSD lite)?

@Twisted Ether 211 or 212 I believe

Alright I need to have this cleared up: I can use RSD lite to fastboot my phone to GB, but how exactly do I flash the kernal? If only it was as simple as using the D4 utility, however that is giving me hell.

Last edited:

Twisted4u

Reaction score
no you need to get into fastboot mode power phone off hold volume up and down and power button all at the same time and sellect fastboot

OP
RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
The D4 Utility ICS only doesn't recognize the phone (drivers installed, USB connected), Not sure if USB debugging is on though... probably not:icon_eek:
Can RSD be used as an alternative, or is there a workaround?

Twisted4u

Reaction score
The D4 Utility ICS only doesn't recognize the phone (drivers installed, USB connected), Not sure if USB debugging is on though... probably not:icon_eek:

as i understand it you can not use rsd to do this this is where i went and fallowed it step by step and it worked for me perfectly
Droid 4 Utility Updated - xda-developers

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

There is no "USB debugging" mode for AP Fastboot. That's for Android OS, which you have not booted (since you can't currently).

If your phone is not being recognized in AP Fastboot, re-install the Motorola USB drivers. Turn your phone off. Turn it on holding Power and both volume keys. when the screen comes up to chose the mode....press volume down to highlight AP Fastboot and then press volume up. Once you are in AP Fastboot mode.....plug your USB in and make sure your compute says the device is connected (device connected in MOTO Fastboot or something like that).