Phone Radio

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It's an old trick that sometimes helps to get the sim to get a better connection and therefore bring in a better signal from your network..

Last edited:
OP
bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
@FoxKat ho we did the testing go? I went back and received a less than warm welcome. Seriously looking at carriers to now. Gonna see how well Sprint works out here. They dont have the Droid line though.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
@bubbanbrenda Whoops, I meant to put RAZR Maxx. I would try forcing your RAZR Maxx to find a new connection at the store. IIRC, (I read this somewhere so I don't know how true it is) phones don't connect to the closest tower, but rather the closest that is at least 5 miles away because of interference issues. Its possible that your phone is connecting to a different tower than the display models. Especially since your phone just traveled, and display models have been tied to the same tower basically since they were put on display.

OP
bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
They would not let me restart their displays but I did restart my RAZR M and nothing changed I've been doing some research and supposedly the "Droid Maxx" was the last of the superb phone radios. So far physical size is the only reason I can find. I would love to find an electronics wizard to put the phone radio out of my RAZR Maxx and put it in my S3 that would be the ideal device IMO. Just my $0.02...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Honestly, IMO no radio is better then any other.
This myth that Moto radios are somehow superior, or were, is exactly that: myth.

I came from the RAZR HD. I hoped I would get some type of improvement with signal because I hear that "Moto Radios" are better. No improvement at all. Everyone with Verizon who comes to my house has the EXACT. SAME. CRAPPY. SIGNAL.
Wife's iPhone. Check! Best Friends Sammy: Check! No one with Verizon gets better service then me on any phone I've had.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Honestly, IMO no radio is better then any other.
This myth that Moto radios are somehow superior, or were, is exactly that: myth.

I came from the RAZR HD. I hoped I would get some type of improvement with signal because I hear that "Moto Radios" are better. No improvement at all. Everyone with Verizon who comes to my house has the EXACT. SAME. CRAPPY. SIGNAL.
Wife's iPhone. Check! Best Friends Sammy: Check! No one with Verizon gets better service then me on any phone I've had.
Interesting. I've seen the opposite. IPhone 5s, moto x and my droid maxx. The motos had better signal sitting side by side than the iPhone. IPhone had quicker download speed though.

This weekend I had a note 3 destroy my maxx in the sticks. I kept dropping 4g while his phone had 2 to 3 bars.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'll start paying closer attention to my friends phones when they come over but I swear my wife's iPhone6 is just as bad as mine at home. I get horrible coverage at home.

TapaTurbo

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I have to agree with some of the others on this. I think it's a combination of better radios overall & user experience. The whole "Moto/radio" debate has had such a strong presence on the internet for so long, people just assume its written in stone. And then you look at real world experience and you see there's a dramatic difference from what "once was". Over the past couple of years radios across all make/models, as well as carrier networks, have improved dramatically. I simply don't see any one dominant radio over another these days.

S5 tap'n

OP
bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
My experience is the exact opposite, myself and the only other person I know with a Razr Maxx can talk when no one else can. I was disappointed to see the Turbo so far behind in a side by side with my Razr Maxx and the Droid Maxx that Verizon had on display. Its all irrelevant now, after my last run in with big red I'm now looking for a new carrier. Thanks again everyone for your input.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If the only place you're having the problem, is in your house (which is actually common for a lot of folks, especially in apartments and office buildings) have you asked Verizon for a wireless network extender? Depending on your situation, I've actually heard of people getting them for free. Obviously if you have another carrier in your area that provides better coverage, it may be better to go with them, but its an option if you wanted to stick with Verizon.
I just don't know that a new carrier is going to help in your particular situation, because of the whole metal roof thing.

Are you opposed to a larger device like say the Nexus 6? This device isn't "carrier specific", (if I recall correctly) that way you could always use this device on another carrier if you do decide to switch, AND you're getting a Moto device to boot.
....just a thought.

S5 tap'n

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If the only place you're having the problem, is in your house (which is actually common for a lot of folks, especially in apartments and office buildings) have you asked Verizon for a wireless network extender? Depending on your situation, I've actually heard of people getting them for free. Obviously if you have another carrier in your area that provides better coverage, it may be better to go with them, but its an option if you wanted to stick with Verizon.
I just don't know that a new carrier is going to help in your particular situation, because of the whole metal roof thing.

Are you opposed to a larger device like say the Nexus 6? This device isn't "carrier specific", (if I recall correctly) that way you could always use this device on another carrier if you do decide to switch, AND you're getting a Moto device to boot.
....just a thought.

S5 tap'n
Used one of these when I lived in a subdivision called sunset Canyon. The name says it all. Crappy reception until I got sprint to send us one. Kinda like having a mini cell tower in the house.

OP
bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
@cr6 my house is the place I have concerns with. My original question is how is it my crippled Razr Maxx and that's brand new Droid Maxx were smoking the 3 new Turbo's on display? I would love to have a N6 but I can't get my hands on one on big reds network for a side by side comparison. And now that I'm looking for a new carrier comparing a CMDA phone and a GSM phone in a side by side comparison won't tell me much. I need to find a carrier that covers my house and then find a phone.

Last edited:
OP
bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
Apparently big red is the only game in (my) town. So Maxx it is. cr6... Moto rules...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Apparently big red is the only game in (my) town. So Maxx it is. cr6... Moto rules...
You will not be disappointed with the Droid Maxx. It might be last years Droid but it is still a very capable phone, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Mine is still flying through a day of heavy use and never has less than 40% battery after 14 - 16 hours off the charger. Call quality is awesome, reception is great, and it has all the cool Touch less Control, Assist, OK Google Now, Moto Voice, functionality that some newer phones still do not have.

Reactions: cr6
OP
bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
A week in and am not disappointed in the slightest. I wanted a Turbo, but the new phone radio doesn't perform as well as the one in the Maxx. I was extremely disappointed in the Turbo's phone performance, everything else seems to be a beast, if the firmware updates don't fix it soon I'll stock pile Maxx's. I realize that I live in a very sketchy area signal wise, but phone makers need to realize that not all of us are 16 year old kids texting and posting everything we do, some of us still expect our phones to ring, and be able to make a complete voice call. Just my $0.02