1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Phone Problems

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Celtic Fan, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan New Member

Hello all, first time poster pretty much. I have been having a couple of really odd problems with my phone. I'm on my third one at the moment in 3 weeks to the day today. The first phone sounded very static like when some one talked to me. The Verizon rep even heard it, got a replacement. 2nd phone, I would call and I could not hear the person on the other end. Reset phone and would work for a day. Took it back, 3rd phone did the same thing and now will just turn off in the middle of a call or just sitting there or when I check email. No reason. I have a Droid and I don't have many apps at all. I really am not a heavy user of my phone as I am a service tech and my company provides one for me. Any insight is appreciated.
    Apps: Google maps, Google sky, barcode scanner, pandora, celtic football wall paper. The folks at Verizon even exteded my 30 day take back time frame which I thought was pretty cool. They really have been great. I like the phone would like it a lot more if it worked like it should. Thanks again for any help.
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Nix Google Sky....then powercycle phone (turn off/on)
  3. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan New Member

Done, I will see what happens. Just curious, why would that cause a problem.
  4. cereal killer

I ran into a problem when I used it : )

I'm not going to guarantee it will work for you but you never know.

I see that you are new here and I didn't get the chance to welcome you, so welcome : )

If it works let us know and vice versa.

Good luck
  5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Curious, I've used Google Sky quite a bit (it was one of the first apps I installed) and haven't had any problems with it. But then I think there are program 'combinations' that effect things more than many programs do individually. As much as I like the concept of the market Google needs to get some control or at least start testing apps for stability. Just my $.02
  6. cereal killer

Yeah its certainly strange KZI. That's why its so hard to troubleshoot problems and this is the perfect example. You had no problem and I did. So it goes : )
  7. cb2000a

cb2000a New Member

Yes it makes sense that certain combos could be bad. I suppose it wise to just put one app on at a time and see if there are any issues.
  8. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

I agree 100% with you. I've had way too many apps make my phone bug out. I consider myslef lucky when I get a new one that doesn't crash my phone or make it as slow as cold molasses. That's pathetic, IMO.
  9. bigthinker

bigthinker New Member

Curious, I've used Google Sky quite a bit (it was one of the first apps I installed) and haven't had any problems with it. But then I think there are program 'combinations' that effect things more than many programs do individually. As much as I like the concept of the market Google needs to get some control or at least start testing apps for stability. Just my $.02

Right on.....I have only had problems with the phone when I get trigger happy and try putting too many or even un proven apps on the phone... Great Observation KZI. I hope you are staying warm and dry with all that snow coming down! :motdroidvert:
  10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

LOL, Thanks, and yeah I've stayed warm. Luckily I haven't had to go anywhere today. My fiance got stranded downtown though. She and some coworkers are having to stay at a hotel so they can get to work in the morning because the roads are to bad to risk driving home (turns out most people in Nashville DON'T live in or near Nashville, almost everyone commutes pretty far). Think we've had over 4" so far, as much ice as snow. It's pretty nasty. And just getting worse:icon_ banana:
  11. Guchi

Guchi New Member

that is 100% right. goes for updates too
  12. cereal killer

snow and ice? what is that?
  13. cereal killer

totally agree.....I install one at a time and run them for a minimum of 2 weeks. Little drastic yes : ) but nothing irritates me more than a device that doesn't function properly.
  14. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

If their are people testing the apps in the market, the company is going to have to pay them. They have to pay people, they'll end up charging for all apps. Might as well go to a company that already does that if that's the case.

You take the flexibility of an open software, you're going to have to deal with user made apps that can bug your system. This is where most problems come from considering you are getting weekend programmers putting up half assed apps.

We like the Droid because we can get the customization out of it, so we deal with it.
  15. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

There are plenty of things they can do as a middle ground. For starters they can offer a 'preferred' or 'approved' cert or something for developers that wanted to charge for their apps. They could also have a user driven/monitoring system that would track issues and make the appropriate recommendations and monitor such conflicts between programs and/or resources. You have to remember the 'average user' out there doesn't care how or why it doesn't work, they're just pissed when it doesn't.

Just because you want an "open market" doesn't mean you have to let it run a muck. Especially when it doing so will be a HUGE turn off to your 'average' user. The idea of being totally 'open' is great for something like a desktop OS where, generally speaking only knowledgeable people are going to be using the product. That not the case when you are trying to get a product to be adopted by the masses and become a common use item. In fact it's just to opposite. Look at how Apple did it (and I HATE having to use them as an example). They use Linux as a base but then make it 'theirs' and they control it (granted probably too tightly, but that what has to be done to make a product that will be embraced by the masses)... you have to remember the 'average user' out there doesn't care how or why it doesn't work, they're just pissed when it doesn't.
  16. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I agree with you that people don't care about why it doesn't work, they just want it to work.

I think this would be an awesome suggestion to the Android developers. Maybe we should start focusing on what we might be able to bring as actual suggestions for future ideas or fixes for current problems. :)
  17. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

I'm all for it. Sadly if you follow the Google forums they don't appear to be very 'open' for suggestions... Granted I know Google is a HUGE entity and I can't even imagine the debt or scale of the support forums but still they are not very active (at least seemingly) in getting ahead of things. It appears they are more inclined to put out fires as they come (see the failed Nexus launch for that...).

As for my part I'm slowly getting back into the Linux routine(s). Just put a new linux install on my laptop and undated my older desktop so I can get back into things a bit. I had got out of Linux for the Win7 beta and have been using WM for the past few years so I've got a lot of dust to clear out, lol.
  18. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan New Member

Thanks, by the way, I uninstalled Google Sky. Thought it was pretty neat. I no technical guru by any stretch of the imagination. I've been pretty cautious when picking apps to install right now. Still kind of gun shy with my phone. I think most all of it is software related and hope that 2.1 fixes most of the bugs. I hope. I agree that there should be some sort of test procedure if there isn't any so far. Would only make the end user that much happier with their product. Just my opinion. Thanks again for insight. So far the problems haven't arose again. "fingers crossed"
  19. crspang

crspang New Member

I've had Google sky installed since the day I got this phone back in Dec. And I haven't any problems whatsoever. I really don't think Google sky is/was your problem.
  20. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I don't think you can say that 100%, there are different variables on his phone that might not be on yours.

That being said I don't know a thing about google sky. lol
Search tags for this page
droid phne problems
droid phone issues on third one
droid phone problem

droid phone problems

droid phone troubleshooting
droid phones problems
droid telephone issues
most trouble free droid phone
problem with droid phone
problems with droid phone