Phone powers back up after power off.

mapz99

Reaction score
I upgraded to the latest version of operating system 2.3.3 v 4.5.596.MB810. Since then, i'll power it off, charge it, unplug it when charged & leave it off. When I go to turn it on in the morning, it's already on. It has also done the same by just turning off without charging. I'm definitely using power off not sleep. Anyone else experiencing the same. Any known bugs/fixes.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:
Reaction score
If your phone is plugged in at all when you turn it off, it turns itself back on because your phone doesn't charge without a bit of kernel loaded (that battery charging screen is part of the kernel.) When you unplug the phone, it reboots into the OS.

Try powering it off after the charge is complete and you've unplugged it.

OP
M

mapz99

Reaction score
I have noticed it was on in the morning after charging the night before. I leave it off in the case and just unplug it.

I have also watched it turn back on in front of me. I turned it off, set it down. It shut down. A few minutes later it was turning back on without ever touching it.

I understand what you mean about the charging thing. That may be an issue. I had a Motor Razor that would turn on if you unplugged the USB end first, but not if you unplugged the power end first.

Have to keep an eye on charging but the other turning on is still an issue.

kevinkar

Reaction score
This is a known issue with no solution yet. There are postings over in the Motorola forums about this so at least Motorola is aware of it. Hopefully someone somewhere figures out what's going on and fixes it. However, if you use Sleep mode instead, it's almost the same as Power Off and accomplishes essentially the same thing without the annoying random power on problem.

OP
M

mapz99

Reaction score
Thanks!!! Will try that.

droidborg

Reaction score
I posted a thread about this too. My phone would turn back on even while not plugged in.

I talked to Motorola and all they could come up with, which is what all phone companies come up with when they don't have a fix, is to reformat, which no one wants to do and usually doesn't work anyhow.

I did a battery remove reboot and after it turned back on 1 time it stopped doing it with several more tests. That was yesterday so I'll see how it goes, but hopefully it worked.

I'm suspicious of sleep mode and the phone turning itself back on pushing us to use sleep mode. I think they want access to our phones 24/7 and don't want us to turn them off ;)

larry1014

Reaction score
Glad I am not going crazy. Mine turns itself back on at night. I have been taking the battery out at night. A pain.