Phone overheating, please help

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
I have a rooted 2.2 Droid with kangerade blueberry rom with a 1.1Ghz kernel and setcpu, I can't figure out why it is overheating. It gets REALLY hot. Any thoughs?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
do you have the profiles on on setcpu? maybe lower the processor speed and try that

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Do you have anything monitoring the temperature? Like Temp Monitor is a good app for that... tell us how hot it is getting and what usage you are doing that is getting it hot

OP
N

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
I use SetCPU it's currently showing 42.0C and 107.6F that's at Min: 400, Max:900 with a 1.1Ghz Kernel. I was at 1100 or 1200 before when it was hot.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I use SetCPU it's currently showing 42.0C and 107.6F that's at Min: 400, Max:900 with a 1.1Ghz Kernel. I was at 1100 or 1200 before when it was hot.

Try and lower that 400 to the lowest setting... what you are basically doing is not letting your processor scale below 400 to cool down.

Honestly I run kangerade without setcpu and never see it go above 40c, even using 1.25gHZ kernel.

Right now I am using ChevyNo1 1ghz ULV kernel and when I pick it up from idle, it's at 24c.

Btw, what kernel are you using, ChevyNo1, p3droid?

OP
N

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
Do you have any links you can recommend me for using for kernels and monitoring-wise? I appreciate the help very much. I'd like to use something that's going to be fast yet stay cool, and perhaps not kill the battery as much lol.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Do you have any links you can recommend me for using for kernels and monitoring-wise? I appreciate the help very much. I'd like to use something that's going to be fast yet stay cool, and perhaps not kill the battery as much lol.

Since I really don't use setcpu or monitor my temps much anymore, no not off the bat... Go to the main page and do a search for SetCPU profiles though, this is how I started on my trek to understanding how the CPU scales and how that effects the temperatures.

Edit: And I also can't recommend a specific kernel, because each phone is slightly different in its own way, so what works for me, might not work for you. Keep reading my friend.

OP
N

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
And for the kernel you recommend I use the chevyno1 1ghz kernel? Or just use the 1.25 and get the most out of it without upping the minimum? Also what is ULV?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Yes I highly recommend that with kangerade, make sure to backup before flashing it. Don't run setcpu for a day and watch your temps with an app called Temp Monitor.

OP
N

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
Thanks a ton I appreciate your help and time very much. Flashing now.

OP
N

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
After playing with it temp monitor is reading 35C 98f and it is much smoother. Might try the 1.2Ghz and see how it handles trial and error.