Phone only ringer?

rich73

Reaction score
My wife and I currently have Blackberry phones (a Curve and an 8830) and we were looking at the droid and wondering if the phone has a setup so that you can set the ringtone to phone only like you can on a blackberry?
I ask this because our phones get email throughout the night and I do not want it to ring/notify us during the night.

Thanks,
Rich

CatsTide

Reaction score
there is a nice app(bedside) that does that and a lot more...costs a couple of bucks

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
My wife and I currently have Blackberry phones (a Curve and an 8830) and we were looking at the droid and wondering if the phone has a setup so that you can set the ringtone to phone only like you can on a blackberry?
I ask this because our phones get email throughout the night and I do not want it to ring/notify us during the night.

Thanks,
Rich

Hey and welcome to the droid forums! :icon_ banana:
Yes on the Droid you have better options than that! You can change ringtones, set it to vibrate or silent and even completely turn off email notifications. By turning off email notifications you will not be notified when an email comes in though and i wouldn't recommend doing this.

My advice is just set the ringtone to silent for email notifications.

OP
R

rich73

Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to set it to do, only play a ringtone/sound when there's a phone call, otherwise we want them to be silent at night.

PhoneSter

Reaction score
Like Cats Tide said... an app in the market place called bedside.
I use it and it allows complete control to let the phone ring (or not) and shut off all or selected emails or texts... I had BB and would never look back!
Welcome to droid land

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The OP is asking about profiles. There are apps that are similar. I use Profiles by egg n stone. There's also Quick Profiles and some other options out there. I'd suggest searching the Applications forum. "Profile" is a better keyword to use than "ringtone".

soupfed

Reaction score
Phone Ring only! Miss it!

@Rich 73 - good for you! I wish I had checked this forum long ago! I switched from BB Curve to Droix X about a week ago. Because of that wonderful "phone only" ring feature, I had long since canceled my land line. Because I couldn't figure out a setting for "phone only" ring on the Droid - I actually reinstated my land line so that I could sleep. Silly un-technical me!! So what did you end up doing? Did one app work better than another? Or did you keep your BB? :)

harrellj

Reaction score
Apps like Tasker/Locale/Timerrific/Settings Profiles (not sure of that one's exact name) all allow you to set schedules for when to have volume and when not to (to allow muting of the phone during sleep or meetings but loud when out and about for example).

dkelly701

Reaction score
Setting Profiles

Setting Profiles will allow you to do this and much, much more. What's even better is, once you set it up, you don't have to remember to change your profiles, it does it automatically. I have 11 different profiles that control everything from the volumes of the individual ringers, vibrate, display brightness, bluetooth, WiFi, etc, etc, etc,. Check it out, spend some time to understand how it works, set it up and then you can forget it.

@Rich 73 - good for you! I wish I had checked this forum long ago! I switched from BB Curve to Droix X about a week ago. Because of that wonderful "phone only" ring feature, I had long since canceled my land line. Because I couldn't figure out a setting for "phone only" ring on the Droid - I actually reinstated my land line so that I could sleep. Silly un-technical me!! So what did you end up doing? Did one app work better than another? Or did you keep your BB? :)

soupfed

Reaction score
Thanks dkelly701! I will check it out! The manuals you get with the Droid are pretty scarce, but I'll get one of my kids to do it! HA!! Seriously - good info - thanks!