Phone not "Breathing" or talking

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Two glitches that I've noticed.
  1. The phone doesn't "breathe". Meaning that when you get a notification, it doesn't show on the asleep screen in a periodic basis. If you do the hand wave, it shows up, otherwise the screen is just black forever. It's supposed to "breathe" and show notifications. Any solution?
  2. It doesn't "talk to me", or more precisely, the "driving" setting in Talk to me doesn't stay activated. I turn on "driving" under Moto/Voice/Talk to me, and as soon as I leave that screen, it turns off the "driving" selection. When I'm driving, I get the text notification, but no voice announcing who it is or asking if I want to have it read to me. Any solutions?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Two glitches that I've noticed.
  1. The phone doesn't "breathe". Meaning that when you get a notification, it doesn't show on the asleep screen in a periodic basis. If you do the hand wave, it shows up, otherwise the screen is just black forever. It's supposed to "breathe" and show notifications. Any solution?
  2. It doesn't "talk to me", or more precisely, the "driving" setting in Talk to me doesn't stay activated. I turn on "driving" under Moto/Voice/Talk to me, and as soon as I leave that screen, it turns off the "driving" selection. When I'm driving, I get the text notification, but no voice announcing who it is or asking if I want to have it read to me. Any solutions?

For #1: I have noticed on my Turbo 2 that new Notifications do initially do this. The screen pulses to show the new Notification every few seconds, for a few minutes. After a few minutes the screen stops pulsing (or breathing) and a quick hand wave will trigger Moto Display again. I think that changed somewhere along the way from the Droid Maxx / Ultra & Moto X when it was first introduced in 2013. I think the original version pulsed (breathed) constantly until you took the necessary action to clear the Notifications. The newer phones seem to only do that for a few minutes & then the screen stays dark until you trigger it again. Being that there is a setting in the Moto App for "Approach For Moto Display" I don't see this as a bug, but a feature in the newer versions of the Moto App. Probably just another way to help save a little more battery.

For # 2: I have no idea, it works great on the Turbo 2, Turbo, Moto X 2014, Droid Maxx and Moto X. I hope that's not a bug in the Moto App on the Droid Z series.

What version of the Moto App is installed on the Droid Z? The Turbo 2 has Moto App version 4.0.26 / Moto Display Version 3.17-M.12-S22.4 / Moto Action version 2.00.11

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I have the talking problem solved. I force stopped the Moto app and then rebooted my phone which restarted the app. It now talks as I drive and the "driving" button is staying on instead of automatically turning off. We'll see if it continues working. The "breathing" problem is still there though. When a missed call or text is received, you see the notification immediately and then never again unless you do the hand wave or pickup the phone. The whole point of the phone breathing is to let you see notifications without touching the phone. My Turbo 1 worked perfectly with this. I do have a different Moto app version than on the T2. Hopefully they will get it fixed.

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Moto app version on the Z is
Moto version 4.2.58
Moto voice version 9.0.3.0.020
Display 04.014.00
Actions 02.040.00

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I noticed that the phone doesn't breathe the way the other Motorola phones (including the T2) have in the past. It stops showing notifications, but if you wave your hand over the phone, the prox reader illuminates the time and notifications if you have any. You may need to tweak your settings in your Moto app.

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
No tweaking is possible. According to the folks at Lenovorola, that's the way the Z is supposed to perform. One notification and then it takes a hand wave to see a notification after that. I liked the old way better. They might bring it back with a future update, but that is still unknown.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yeah, the "tweaking" I was referring to was activating the setting, itself. I know it's different & sorry you don't like it. For me, it works well this way.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. You are right. You DO have to at least activate the hand wave setting to get that feature. The other extended "breathing" is a nice feature to have, but certainly not the end of the world if I don't have it. I just wave more.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks for clarifying. You are right. You DO have to at least activate the hand wave setting to get that feature. The other extended "breathing" is a nice feature to have, but certainly not the end of the world if I don't have it. I just wave more.
Just make sure you alternate arms so the muscles you build by waving are equal

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
2571929043_60c2315c11.jpg

Oh, that's not a problem.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member