1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Phone not booting... recovery not available?

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by MillionsKnives, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MillionsKnives

MillionsKnives New Member

Hello all,

Well I'm not sure if this is the right place to go, but I figured I'd start here. I have a Droid 1 with Project Elite 4.1 installed using Slayher's 1.6 1100MHz LV kernel and it has been running fine for a while. However, I just recently tried to reboot my phone through the power button like I've done so many times, but instead of the phone rebooting like normal, it seems to be stuck at loading after the Motorola logo. I'll get the Motorola logo for like 10-15 seconds and then it will go to a blank screen and sit there endlessly until i pull out the battery.

Now I thought the obvious choice was to boot into recovery and restore an old backup, but of course for some reasons it won't even boot into it. I'll hold the "X" button while the Motorola logo is showing, but instead of the recovery screen it just goes to that same blank screen. I took the battery out and let it sit for a while and tried it again with no luck. It looks like I'm kind of screwed... not sure what to do now. I have no idea why this would have happened.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get on the matter. I'd hate to have to buy a new phone right now...
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    At this point your only option is to SBF the phone. I take it your extensive research before you rooted didn't include this all-important facet of hacking a Motorola phone. That's unfortunate.

You have two choices. One guaranteed to work, the other a possibility, but if the other fails the first one is possible. The guaranteed to work one will return your phone to a stock state and you will have to start over.
  3. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

reflash your recovery then flash PE v4.1 again

EDIT: Be sure to WIPE DATA/CACHE before flashing again. It's VERY important.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

I wanted to add that I've been in this exact same position when I was messing with different recoveries. I lost ALL my back-ups, phone wouldn't boot it was a mess : )
  5. furbearingmammal

Yes, I'd recommend flashing SPRecovery via SBF before wiping the phone totally back to stock, like CK advocates -- but I wanted to make sure you knew what might be in store if it didn't work. :)
  6. MillionsKnives

MillionsKnives New Member

Thanks guys for your fast responses, that's why I love this place so much :)

It has been so long since I rooted the phone that I forgot all about the SBF... duh.

Believe it or not, I did the process of removing the battery, holding the "X" button and replacing the battery and turning the power on in order for the Recovery to show up. I did not know about that trick I guess you could call it. Anyways, once I got into recovery I was able to restore my nandroid backup that I created when I installed Project Elite 4.1. Thankfully that worked and the only things i lost were the new things after that nandroid backup was made.

Surprisingly enough it seems that my phone is a lot more responsive now for some reason. I don't understand why that would be considering i just did a clean wipe when I installed PE 4.1 like 4 days ago. Regardless, I appreciate the responses as I said and especially how fast they were. I was just about to go to bed and wanted to reboot my phone beforehand, and then was faced with this issue which of course I needed to figure out before going to sleep, haha.
  7. furbearingmammal

You wiped the cache. You should clear your Dalvik every two weeks if possible.