Phone lagging

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Just as the title states, my phone is lagging bad. I cleared the cache and it help for about half a day. I have plenty of free storage, about 12 or 13gb out of 32gb available. Google maps lags bad, I click the app and it takes a good moment for it to load, same with a few other apps including stock text. I try to keep my open apps to a minimum to avoid them running in the back ground, and I try to keep my total apps to just ones I actually use. Any help is always appreciated. (stock Motorola Droid Maxx 32g, Verizon, Android 4.4.4)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
have you tried an app like GSam Battery monitor? It has some pretty detailed stats about which apps are keeping your phone awake, which ones are using battery, etc. It might help determine if an app or apps are causing the lag. My wife had a similar situation once with her Razr M. I almost did a full FDR, but instead I uninstalled every Play Store app she had ever downloaded. Then I cleared the app cache in Settings and cleared the phone cache in the recovery menu & rebooted. The phone was snappy fast again. Then we were very selective about which apps she re-installed and only installed one or two a day, and kept track of which ones were installed each time. We found that there were a lot she never really used & needed. In the end it was almost as time consuming as a FDR, but the apps that came with the phone did not have to be setup again.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
I'm stock I can't remove bloat ware, I can hide (disable) it but it still takes up space? (correct me if I'm wrong) yes I have Gsam. The apps that take army battery are ones I use. Unless it says Android system and then I have no idea what app that's part of the system that's sucking juice. Forgot to add this is a US phone

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, disabled apps still take up space on the phone. I doubt that is causing the lag though; it sounds like you have plenty of free space. What I was referring to are all downloaded Play Store apps: Facebook, games, music players, etc. When I uninstalled every one, her phone was very snappy again, so I knew the issue had something to do with those apps and not the ones that came pre-installed on the phone. It was very time consuming though. I know a lot of people say that when a phone gets laggy just do a factory reset (FDR) and start over fresh & clean. That can also be very time consuming, and if all personal files are not backed up somewhere first you will lose them.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Yes, I try to avoid fdr's like the plague. Was hoping there was something I could clear that I knew nothing about.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
How much space is used in Settings > Storage > Cached data? When you clear the cache from the recovery menu I'm not sure if that process clears the cache for all apps. The cache used by all apps is listed on the Settings - Storage screen.

I know a lot of people avoid a FDR. I have a simple checklist I made years ago with key settings I like, tips to remember (turn Location On / Off, backup pics to G+ On Off, etc.) apps that I use a lot and have to have and what their passwords are. It helps me out & I have the post FDR setup down to about 2 hours now. Sometimes I have found that the time spent fiddling with everything under the sun just to have the same problem takes way more time than just starting clean. That's just my opinion though, someone else may have some better ideas that will help your situation.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
(disregard) Total space 32gb

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1425310650776.jpg

Total space 32gb

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Your storage looks pretty clean. That's probably not the issue. I am guessing that it is either an app or a combination of apps causing the lagginess (is that even a word?). Have you ever tried using the phone in Safe Mode? The instructions are here. When the phone is in Safe Mode, only the apps that came pre-installed will run, no Play Store (3rd party) apps will run. If the lagginess gets better or goes away & the phone runs faster, that helps confirm that downloaded apps are causing the problem. It's a handy troubleshooting tool. FYI: If you do run in Safe Mode, when you reboot into normal mode some downloaded apps will require their password again.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You're not using an app killer are you by chance?? They can cause Instability and cause other issues...

How often do you reboot the device?? That can have a slight effect on this.

You could always clear the cache through recovery..

Other than that.. Looks like you guys have this covered..

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
No app killer, learned androids don't need them back in dx2 days. I reboot about every week. Didn't know anything about clearing cache in recovery. When I clear the cache through setting >storage>cache, is that not the same?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
One of the mods can correct me if I am wrong but I think they do slightly different things. I used to clear the phone cache from recovery once a week until I read a post by FoxKat explaining why it was not necessary to do it regularly. I seldomly clear the phone cache now and try to reboot every other day. It does not hurt to try it, bit it may only fix the lagginess temporarily.

doogald

Reaction score
Just a quick note that disabling apps doesn't remove them from storage but it will prevent them from running and therefore reduce RAM usage...

Remmy700P

Reaction score
Website
www.pesisolar.com
Current Phone Model
DROID Turbo
You need to find out what processes are running in the background. It's probably a downloaded game/social media app that's auto-loaded at startup and is hogging the CPU cycles.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Is it just Maps that's lagging? If so, try uninstalling all the updates so it goes back to the version you shipped with, and disable automatic updates for a few days. A botched update might have caused loading lag.