Phone Lag

Hodor

Reaction score
Google and Amazon are the main culprits here. They have loaded Jellybean with so much bloat its ridiculous.

But all is not lost. Remove (or freeze) any Google or Amazon app that you 100% do not ABSOLUTELY need! And this includes Google now. These two companies combined were sucking up over 60 meg of memory to just stay resident and do nothing (except maybe spy some more on us)

Go to apps and look under "running". If you do not have at least 200 meg or more free at any given time you are going to experience random lag. While you are there, look to see how much memory your other running apps are using. If it's high and you don't need it, get rid of it.

This will help your phone immensely. Unfortunately, if you download a lot of apps you will need to check this frequently. Android is supposed to idle /unload stuff it doesn't need, but unfortunately for us, some programmers aren't following the rules.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The carriers put the bloat on. Also I would not suggest just randomly freezing services. Doing so can cause more problems. If you don't know what your freezing it may affect other things. I froze a VZW app and my google calendar stopped working.
The bloat is not the cause of the lag...that's just hype. You don't need in excess of 200mb free to be lag free. YMMV, but generally lag is caused by runaway apps or cache overloads.

Sent from Democles Base.

Hodor

Reaction score
Sorry, but I still stand by what I say. I didn't say to freeze services, just keep an eye on apps you download and monitor how much memory they use and how long they stay loaded. 10meg here 20meg there all add up fast when you have a phone that only has 1gig.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't even have a gig....512megs on the D3 and no lag to speak of. That's all i'm sayin.

Sent from Democles Base.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Yea available ram shouldn't have anything to do with lag.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Hodor

Reaction score
Yea available ram shouldn't have anything to do with lag.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

It is only part of the picture. Many apps try to sync/refresh themselves, locate you, phone home and tell mommy what you been looking at with your browser, etc etc, without you even knowing it. Lag happens when several try to do it at the same time. Just like a real PC. You get too many processes, services and programs running at once, your computer feels slow and sluggish. A lot of memory and a good processor can mask this for quite awhile before you notice it.

noob1965

Reaction score
ok guys, i have something like the lag going on and also when ever i get a text or notification, my maxx only vibrates. I checked my settings and it says that i have a tone set for the notifications. any ideas about that? thanks

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
ok guys, i have something like the lag going on and also when ever i get a text or notification, my maxx only vibrates. I checked my settings and it says that i have a tone set for the notifications. any ideas about that? thanks

I had that happen a time or two a well. No idea why. Turned phone to vibrate and back, problem hasn't come back. Not sure what it was.

Red meat is not bad for you. Green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

noob1965

Reaction score
Didn't mean to take so long to thanking you for your help. That did the trick

pblakk

Reaction score
Didn't mean to take so long to thanking you for your help. That did the trick

You did a factory reset? If so, you should be running very smooth and stable now.... that's what did it for me. :gotmyvote::yr1: