1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Phone keeps setting itself to silent mode?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by OpalCat, Mar 26, 2010.

1. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

I keep having this mysterious problem with my Droid where I miss all my calls... then I go into my call settings and find that my ringtone is set to "Silent"... so I reset it to the Muppet Show Theme as any rational person would... and then a few days later I start msising all my calls again and whaddaya know? It's set back to "Silent"... what is making this happen?
  2. mikesperry

mikesperry New Member

yes, mine started doing the same thing. not just with ringtones for incoming calls, but also alarm sounds, so I'd miss an alarm going off and be late to whatever it was I was timing.
    I think it started after 2.1.update1.

The only workaround I've noticed is to make sure I check the volume after I've set an alarm.
  3. bikedogrun

bikedogrun New Member

Sometimes in a pocket/purse, folks are not aware that the down volume is being pressed which will (with continued presses) ultimately create that silent ringtone???

/BD :reddroid:
  4. sroach23

sroach23 New Member

i had this problem when i downloaded timeriffic. did you download any programs that have control over volume settings?
  5. Ironman 140.6

Ironman 140.6 New Member

Solved - The problem is definitely with the volume button and it happens to me several times whenever I slide the phone into the holster after ending a phone call.

Here is what I discovered. Whenever I wanted to toggle between Vibrate and Normal mode, I was going into Settings, Sound Profile and making the change there. I didn't know this, but this process can be done via the volume button on the side of your phone. Looking at your phone, start increasing the volume until it is maxed out. Next, start clicking to decrease the volume. Right before the lowest level is reached, the icon will appear indicating the phone is muted or in Silent mode. Click down one more time and you will then automatically go into Vibrate mode. Now going back in the opposite direction, one click up puts you right back into Silent mode while still another click up starts increasing the volume for Normal mode.

I like my phone to always stay in Vibrate mode, so whenever I end a phone call and accidently hit the volume up button just one time upon placing it back in my holster, the phone rolls into Silent mode and I may not know it for hours. I guess you could also cause this as well by increasing or decreasing the volume during a phone conversation and inadvertently stopping in that one place between Vibrate and Normal. You wouldn't even know you did it.

Hope this helps someone out there. I missed a ton of calls and emails because of it.
  6. worldnick

worldnick New Member

I registered to write that this is 2012 and it is still happening. This is the worst feature EVERRRRRRRR
  7. haitianzero

haitianzero New Member

I recently found a workaround for this issue. I'm not sure if it has been posted or not, but with the use of the app called "Volume Control+", you can lock the volume controls for your ringer, alarm, media, system, and etc. You can also lock the modes (Ring, Vibrate, Silent) from changing without your knowledge.
  8. tolland

tolland New Member

I have a similar problem on a Samsung S2
Search tags for this page
android goes into silent mode
android phone goes to silent mode
android turning itself on silent
android volume keeps going down

galaxy s2 keeps going into silent mode

galaxy s3 goes silent by itself

my phone keeps going into silent mode

phone switches to silent mode by itself