Phone keeps setting itself to silent mode?

OpalCat

Reaction score
I keep having this mysterious problem with my Droid where I miss all my calls... then I go into my call settings and find that my ringtone is set to "Silent"... so I reset it to the Muppet Show Theme as any rational person would... and then a few days later I start msising all my calls again and whaddaya know? It's set back to "Silent"... what is making this happen?

mikesperry

Reaction score
yes, mine started doing the same thing. not just with ringtones for incoming calls, but also alarm sounds, so I'd miss an alarm going off and be late to whatever it was I was timing.
I think it started after 2.1.update1.

The only workaround I've noticed is to make sure I check the volume after I've set an alarm.

bikedogrun

Reaction score
I keep having this mysterious problem with my Droid where I miss all my calls... then I go into my call settings and find that my ringtone is set to "Silent"... so I reset it to the Muppet Show Theme as any rational person would... and then a few days later I start msising all my calls again and whaddaya know? It's set back to "Silent"... what is making this happen?
Sometimes in a pocket/purse, folks are not aware that the down volume is being pressed which will (with continued presses) ultimately create that silent ringtone???

/BD :reddroid:

sroach23

Reaction score
i had this problem when i downloaded timeriffic. did you download any programs that have control over volume settings?

Ironman 140.6

Reaction score
Solved - The problem is definitely with the volume button and it happens to me several times whenever I slide the phone into the holster after ending a phone call.

Here is what I discovered. Whenever I wanted to toggle between Vibrate and Normal mode, I was going into Settings, Sound Profile and making the change there. I didn't know this, but this process can be done via the volume button on the side of your phone. Looking at your phone, start increasing the volume until it is maxed out. Next, start clicking to decrease the volume. Right before the lowest level is reached, the icon will appear indicating the phone is muted or in Silent mode. Click down one more time and you will then automatically go into Vibrate mode. Now going back in the opposite direction, one click up puts you right back into Silent mode while still another click up starts increasing the volume for Normal mode.

I like my phone to always stay in Vibrate mode, so whenever I end a phone call and accidently hit the volume up button just one time upon placing it back in my holster, the phone rolls into Silent mode and I may not know it for hours. I guess you could also cause this as well by increasing or decreasing the volume during a phone conversation and inadvertently stopping in that one place between Vibrate and Normal. You wouldn't even know you did it.

Hope this helps someone out there. I missed a ton of calls and emails because of it.

worldnick

Reaction score
I registered to write that this is 2012 and it is still happening. This is the worst feature EVERRRRRRRR

haitianzero

Reaction score
I recently found a workaround for this issue. I'm not sure if it has been posted or not, but with the use of the app called "Volume Control+", you can lock the volume controls for your ringer, alarm, media, system, and etc. You can also lock the modes (Ring, Vibrate, Silent) from changing without your knowledge.

beyondtheveil

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
I have a week old Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, and I noticed the same thing on the way home from shopping. I had the phone in a bag, and attributed the first time I found my phone on mute to an accident. However, I had the screen locked and the phone sitting on the bed away from anything that could result in button presses, and came back to find out missed a text message after adjusting my volume, because the phone muted itself again. I don't recall if this has happened before since I've gotten the phone, but I'll keep an eye out. Mind you this is now 2016. I went looking for this problem on threads, when I found this site, and found it worth mentioning now on the off-chance somebody else stumbles across it and has this problem, or found a solution. On that note I have discovered my new phone has a nasty penchant for writing out the word "comma" or "Kama" instead of "," during dictation!

Gelf

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung s6
i had this problem when i downloaded timeriffic. did you download any programs that have control over volume settings?
Agreed that timerific can cause this. One doesn't necessarily need to delete, and instead can update the profile to turn the ringer on at an earlier time in the am or off at later time that should be after you go to bed.

Ibtruckn66

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
I have found, that the XFINITY app that I have on my cell, when it calls forwards calls from my house to cell phone it is shutting down or disabling my cell phones ring tones. If you have XFINITY apps on a note 5 and your ring tones stop working until a system reboot or run in safe mode. I would start with the XFINITY apps. Seems they have rookie developers developing their apps.

John Hind

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
Argh! Why is there so much thoughtless design in the Phone world!

I missed countless calls and texts before noticing (on my Nexus 5X - hang your heads in shame Google) that the volume down button protrudes at the centre of the long side of the phone - right were the clamp stand on my desk wants to go to balance the phone! I do not know how the phone decides which volume these buttons control, but it seems to be the ringer rather than the alarm or the media, which both remain at 100% (or I'd have noticed before). All they had to do was recess the buttons slightly!

"Smartphones" really ought to be renamed "complicated phones". They get almost as difficult to work with as people!

Rachael Alice

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo vibe k6
Sometimes without our awareness in our pocket or hand volume down button will be pressed then call ringing goes in silent mode.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I have an app the changes the volume buttons to toggle multimedia sounds instead of main cell volume. Prevents accidentally changing volume while in pocket or when taking phone out of phone case

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk