phone isn't working

kaymcg

Reaction score
Hi, my phone (a motorola droid) was working fine tonight -- but then I powered it off for class and when I tried to turn it back on again, all I get is the black screen with the Motorola logo. That goes on and off, but nothing else happens. I've tried taking the battery out, leaving it out and then putting it back in -- nothing. I've tried charging it -- nothing. I really can't imagine rebooting to factory settings because I have too much info on there I would hate to lose. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix the phone or what might be wrong with it? I'd be really grateful for any advice or help.

Thanks,

Kristy

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
are you rooted? If so, did you create a recent backup?

OP
K

kaymcg

Reaction score
Hi, thanks a lot for replying. I don't know what rooted means, I'm sorry. If it means am I plugged into a power cord, I am. I have not created a back up.

Thanks again for your help -- this type of stuff is so random and upsetting.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Did you get the phone from Verizon or is it second hand? If you don't know what rooted is, then you aren't rooted (said with humor, not sarcasm) :) It has to do with gaining access to the programming inside the phone. I'll wait for your answer to proceed.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
K

kaymcg

Reaction score
Hi, yes, I got the phone directly from Verizon about a year ago. I haven't done much of anything with the phone, except use it normally. I can't think of any reason that it'd be working just fine, I would turn it off normally and then when I'd go to use it again, it'd be completely dead. Nothing happens now if I don't have it plugged in to the power cord. When it's plugged into the cord, the logo appears intermittently and then goes to a completely black screen. Thanks again for your help.

harrellj

Reaction score
Are you plugged into the wall or a computer?

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Ok so you aren't rooted. It sounds like your phone is stuck in a bootloop (constantly rebooting) which is a common rooted phone problem. Contact Verizon and see if your phone is still under the factory warranty. You can get it replaced if it is. Try searching through the rescue squad then post a question if you don't find the answer. I know you need the data, but a replacement may be in your future. Don't accept anything less than an original droid or newer android phone. Good luck, sorry I wasn't more help.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually this may be one of the rare occasions when a battery pull might work. I had it happen to my D2 yesterday.

Just pull the battery for a full 30 seconds and then try rebooting again. If it doesn't work well at least you gave it a try.