Phone is unbelievably unresponsive.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by mynamesjose, Jan 12, 2011.

1. mynamesjose

mynamesjose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like title says. Specs for my phone are in my sig. Clearing my cache helps. But my phone is so much slower then when it was pre rooted. It's just really annoying. Also I am running Juice Defender as well. Any tips or anyone having this same problem.

2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Have you tried a lower kernel, or one from a different series (ie LV)? Are you running SetCPU? If so, what refresh time did you choose? While unresponsive, run:

Dev Tools -> Terminal -> type in mtop

Observe top CPU consuming processes and report back

3. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Chevy, does this change anything or is it just a way to see what is sucking up CPU speed?

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Just a visual as to what is hogging the CPU ...

5. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah, lots of people have said that, ironically, lower kernels perform better for them. It differs from phone to phone seemingly, even when it's the same model.

Also, take advantage of the hide/delete scripts. First and foremost, deleting launcher2 if you run another launcher (I use ADW standalone so I delete launcher2). AmazonMP3 is another one that takes resources all the time, that you can get rid of. Many more too... "News and Weather" is useless if you use Beautiful Widgets, Weather Channel, etc. You get the idea. Again, some of these things take resources even when you aren't using them.

In general, it's:

- Delete/disable apps and services you don't need (some that many aren't even aware of)
    - Try different kernels. For myself, I have stuck with the standard 1.0ghz LV. Trying higher ones seems to always result in instability at one point or another.

6. mynamesjose

mynamesjose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where do I get disable these apps. However. I think I may have found my problem.

In setCPU I had the screen off profile set to 400mhz and on powersave. I set it back to ondemand and it seems to be responding alot better. Havn't had it go unresponsive since then.

Chevy how to I set the refresh rate in setCPU?

7. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Jose, you can hide/delete the apps via my Tools - ChevyNo1Tools to be specific - you can find under 'scripts'.

Refresh rate - I should have been more specific, I meant the SetCPU widget - when you first create it on your desktop, you can set refresh rate to 5 seconds, 10, etc. I've found the best setting to just be 'passive'

8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    You can also just not use the SetCPU widget at all. That's what I do now. I have my settings for it the way I like it... I don't have much need to be looking at what the current clock speed is at any given moment.

And BTW, "powersave" will lock the clock speed at the lowest setting specified, all the time (just as "performance" will max it all the time). For Screen off, I just use 550max, 250min, OnDemand. That's good enough to conserve energy but still let it run at least at stock speed if needed.

I would only use "powersave" in a profile at a critical stage, such as Battery <20%, or something like that. I don't use it though. I have 550/250/Conservative set for when battery is less than 30%. "Conservative" is a middle setting between OnDemand and PowerSave.

#8 Phreaker47, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. schwinn

schwinn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is likely the problem you are facing. You really should read the instructions for these tools before fiddling with settings.

Secondly, as said above, some phones have issues with ULV kernels... my phone is one of them. LV works well for my phone, but even that may be too low for some.

First step, fix the SetCPU settings. Then try the LV kernel instead.

And before tinkering with "refresh rates" on SetCPU, PLEASE read and understand the instructions for the tools and understand what they are doing. It sounds like you don't know what you are doing, and that's probably the biggest issue you are facing.