phone is off.....

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by kunak83, Dec 18, 2009.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. kunak83

kunak83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A few times when I went to use the phone, it was off. Is this a known issue? One of my friends had the same issue.
  2. tplant98

tplant98 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this same issue and it would happen about once a week. Before my 30 days was up, I exchanged it for a new one. The new one has done it I think a couple times in the two weeks I've had it. There are a few other threads about this topic out on the bulletin boards, and there really isn't a good answer for it which is frustrating. I guess this is just a nice "feature" of the Droid. :(

A few recommendations is remove all the extra applications as you might have an app that is causing it to crash. But what is the point of having a smartphone if you can't download applications, might as well go back to a freebie phone if that is the cause.
  3. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    First of all, if it is an application doing it... it is not a "feature" of the Droid.

Second, like on any other platform, there are good and bad applications. And there are applications which are buggy. If an app is causing a problem you remove THAT app... That is not the same thing as going back to a dumb phone, because here for most application, you can choose another that has the same functionality (or just wait until they fix it).

It is frustrating that sometimes applications misbehave... but it is a fact of life on all computing platforms, no programmer (despite what we like to think) is perfect... otherwise there wouldn't be revisions to applications.
  4. tplant98

tplant98 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way to look at any logs on the phone to be able to give any type of indication what caused the crash issue? I have 12 applications (All 4.5 stars or above rating) installed and randomly uninstalling one at a time and seeing if that prevents a crash in the next week or two, seems pretty hit or miss.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the phone, just would think that it should be a little more stable that no matter how crappy the application is it doesn't turn the phone off. Or if it does it shouldn't be available in the Marketplace.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate everyone's time and feedback.
  5. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Remember, on their own, any ONE of these applications may me fine, but there is always a chance that one of them conflicts with something another one does. And no, when you have to allow applications to get low level to enable it to interact with hardware there is little the OS can do to make it "more stable." (This is why "Drivers" are often more of a problem than "applications" in Windows, but in the case of a phone, you have a lot less abstraction layers, so apps on a phone are closer to "drivers" on a PC platform)

There probably are debuggers, but they would entail installing Eclipse and the Android SDK . (If you are willing to go to such lengths, then go to Android Developers